Need Advice - Foxes

rgray107918

Hatching
Oct 23, 2017
Our cat died about 3 weeks ago. Since her death we have had an increase in mice and varmints on property.

Recently needed to let dog out to do business late (on medication) around 8:30-9:30. This started 6 days ago. While out with dog saw at least 1 if not 2 foxes every night. Foxes known in area (neighbors down street lost flock of 7 to what we think was fox(es)). I've never seen them on my property or lost a bird to predation in 2 years.

All but 1 night, foxes were back by compost pile ~80-100ft away from coop. Only 1 night (3 nights ago) saw fox in cypress trees that border coop, about 20 feet from coop. I only had time to grab pellet gun, all other firearms locked up. Pellet gun is cheapo 650fps. I pumped 10 times and made a good upper torso shot, but fox barely flinched and just strolled back to compost pile and took a seat staring at me. I reloaded and pumped 15 times, hit either chest or face (doubt face) and again fox barely cared and strolled over compost and into woods.

Last night, around 10:00pm found fox sleeping on top of compost. Unfortunately I dropped pellet gun earlier and must have moved sights. I took 3 shots, none of which made contact. Fox just raised head, looked around, and went back to sleeping. This fox looked smaller than other fox I shot. I eventually went back to garage and grabbed a home-made spear (I make stuff to play with) and threw it at compost missing by a mile. That got fox up, but again, the fox just casually strolled into woods.

Part of me wants to leave the foxes alone if they will pick up killing mice where cat left off - also, co-op is very secure. Run is made of 2'x4' industrial shelving with 1 entire shelf buried. Whole run is 8 foot cube, but there is only cheap chicken wire on top zip tied about every 4"-6". Coops are tractor supply build-your-self ones (2 co-ops total). Last night I lined outside both coops with heavy cement pavers and cinder blocks.

My questions are - is it possible these foxes just like the warmth of the compost and won't become a problem, or am I being naive? - Is it possible my cat really kept foxes away from property (1 Acre)? Just seems to coincidental that as soon as she's gone I see an increase... Although I also wasn't shining a flashlight around my yard at night either (only started with late nite doggy potty breaks).

I'd like to believe they've been there the whole time, have tried to get in before, realized my build is rock solid, and won't ever really be a threat.

What do you guys think?

I'm open to all suggestions from doing nothing to camping out with rifle.

Foxes dig and will work and work and work to find a way into your coop/run. Are these red foxes? They are incredibly sneaky.

I find it a little strange that they don't seem fearful of you- a little concerning. I've had to deal with foxes on my property before and they were never that bold.

I personally would do whatever possible to get them off of your property. Our LGD has driven the ones here away.

Foxes are PROBABLY at the compost pile to get the mice that live there, mice love burrowing and having young in the nice warm compost pile, and eating all the food they find there. The cat would not have kept foxes out, probably the foxes only started coming once the mouse population exploded. If you ever want cats again, get the foxes outa there, they can eat cats. Also, a fox can find the smallest hole in your coop and get in, once that starts there is no stopping it.

We have outside cats and foxes too....if they are lying on your compost pile, I bet there is a den or hole within a 20' radius of it. Fox will attack and eat cats, but they prefer easier prey. They will watch the routines of everything and plan their attacks. Since ya know the spot and about what time I'd be waiting with a weapon of choice that will take it out....I've used a 22, shotgun, and 30-30 depending on conditions. I prefer the 30-30 tho, because it will put them down if hit and not travel far at all....I prefer to drop them than trail them.

Ugh! We have a fox -we only had a handful of chickens and we have lost 2 these past few months. Lost another to ourmchickenmsitters dog -seriously. Now, we have one hen left-I can't give up. I love them so much! My lil hen is 8'months old-I'd like to just get one more right now to keep her company. Does the new hen have to be the same age?? I am finding them younger and smaller-although, my lil hen is small-

Help!!!!!
Thanks!!!! Cherie

Thanks for all the replies and info, everyone.

Sannabelle, yes, I believe they are red foxes. We have both in my area but Red Foxes are more numerous and that is what these guys looked like. I may try to snap a picture to make sure.

Phantom, I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Fairly rural where I live - corn fields and light woods. Unfortunately, from the middle of my property there's really only about a 20 degree radius I can fire into without risking neighboring property. The 20 degree radius goes into neighbor's woods. Because of this, I'm kind of glad I didn't hastily fire of a few .22 rounds in the wrong direction.

Aside from the .177 toy pellet gun I own an old beater .22 single shot bolt action, .40 carbine, and a 12 gauge. The .22 is close to 60 hard years old - was Dad's rat gun as a kid. It's reliable and it hits the mark....but it's missing the rear site elevation ramp and the front site post bead was busted off many years ago. I've never refinished it because I kind of liked looking at it's wear and wondering what adventure caused it. Now that it needs to return to service it might be time to restore it.

I called the County Sheriff and Department of Natural Resources and both agencies said I am OK to kill the foxes with a firearm as long as I do so in accordance with firearm/hunting laws which state: don't fire across public roads (good there), don't hunt, trap, or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied structure or camp without permission of the owner or occupant (good there, but only in the 20 degree radius).

I do have one other firearm option which is a .22 pellet gun my Dad has. He recently got it to take care of some ground hogs that were tearing things up under his shed.

On a side note, I realized tonight why I missed all three times last night. I forgot how much pellet drop my pellet rifle has passed 25 yards. I went to re-sight in my pellet rifle tonight and was dead on at 10 and 25 yards - anything passed that and it starts to be a guessing game. Last night's shots were probably close to 40 yards away. I'm glad I missed, as at that distance and with such little accuracy I really just risked maiming the animal - which would have sucked.

I think I'm going do some more coop reinforcements, put up some motion lights, and borrow the .22 pellet gun.

I do have one question for anyone who knows - is a Red Fox strong enough to move a cinder block, or roll it away from a coop? For now, that's really all I have stopping a predator from digging under the TSC coops - I know....I need to bury hardware cloth.

Probably not...They usually prefer a simple solution..I have railroad ties around my Ducks run and do have a Fox problem..Den is next Door..They know you have Chickens so will wait till you free range and if you do so the same time daily they learn and will come for a free meal..I let my gaurd down this summer and lost two Chicks to the Fox..The Red Fox is crafty...

Back
Top Bottom