Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Lisa, I would love some of your birds but I decided that I do not like frizzles due to the SAD SAd way they look during molt. And you have so many frizzles mixed into your flock.

That's true, all frizzle-birds can look pretty raggedy during molt, and frizzle Naked Necks even more so.
edited to add: It would be incorrect to assume all my Naked Neck pens could make frizzles : )

My Naked Neck Green-Egger pens are both frizzle NNGE guys with smooth NNGE girls. All my barred NNGE girls are in those pens --- so those chicks have a 50% chance of inheriting the frizzle gene.
Part of the shuffle-up is pulling out the barred NNGE girls and moving them in with a barred NNGE guy.

I don't know if anyone remembers the lovely tufted Araucana guy I was given and my intentions of making tufted Naked Necks --- well he never made it out of quarantine. His first droppings when I got him were home were bloody and I treated him for Coccidiosis, but couldn't pull him out of it. He had looked healthy but I guess the stress brought it out? So that project is off-the-table : (

I'm going to take a step back (or forward, depending on how you look at it) and work on adding size to my black / blue single comb brown-egger Naked Necks. Some single comb NN girls are going in with a black Java guy. Some are going in with a blue Rock. I'm moving a blue single comb frizzle NN guy in with my Jersey Giant hens.
I should be able to pull the biggest offspring from those and have seperate 'lines' of blue / black / splash Naked Necks to work with.
I hate toe-punching chicks but I'll be doing a lot of it to identify the lines, I guess.

Sorry for all 'thinking out loud ' : )

Last edited:
Well they sure are an odd looking bunch. I will give them that...I can't say that I am a fan...they look like tiny vultures...if anything I like chickens with as much feathers and covering on their heads as possible

I guess we won't worry about seeing you here again, but it was nice of you to stop by and share your opinion ; )
I find myself interested in all chickens...even if I don't find them pleasing to the senses. I also prefer LF, but don't knock bantams... I like a lot of feathers myself and that's fine too. I also have an affliction for bulldogs and they are an ugly bunch.

Well they sure are an odd looking bunch. I will give them that...I can't say that I am a fan...they look like tiny vultures...if anything I like chickens with as much feathers and covering on their heads as possible
I also think they look like tiny vultures, but think they are adorably ugly. I absolutely love the oddity of them! I have some of Dipsy's eggs in my incubator now and LOVE the frizzled look!!! They look like they had perms! It is only day 8, so have a couple of weeks left. Can't wait! Thanks Lisa for your special chickens!

YAY! My NN hen just hatched a white chick now just hoping it's a hen. I will post pics in a little bit if she will let me.(she's a very pertective mother) :)

Back
Top Bottom