NAIS They are at it again.

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), widely referred to as “Mad Cow Disease,” is a chronic degenerative disease affecting the central nervous system of cattle. It is one in a family of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies. BSE was first diagnosed in Great Britain in 1986.

How BSE spreads:
There is no evidence that BSE spreads horizontally, for example, by contact between unrelated adult cattle or from cattle to other species. Limited research suggests that maternal or vertical transmission may occur at a very low level. Research in this area is continuing.

BSE may be spread when meat-and-bone meal from infected animals is fed to cattle; feeding other high-risk materials such as spinal cords, brains, eyes, tonsils.

The nature, cause, origin, and progress of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE).

The causative agent of BSE, as well as other TSEs, is yet to be fully characterized. The most widely accepted theory is the disease is caused by an unconventional transmissible agent termed a prion (infectious protein).

The BSE agent is smaller than most viral particles and is highly resistant to heat, ultraviolet light, ionizing radiation, and common disinfectants that normally inactivate viruses or bacteria. It causes no detectable immune or inflammatory response in the host; and has not been observed microscopically. At this time, there is no test to detect the disease in a live animal.

Related Diseases

Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies are caused by similar uncharacterized agents that produce spongiform changes in the brain. TSEs that have been found in the United States include:

Scrapie of sheep and goats
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) of deer and elk
Transmissible Mink Encephalopathy
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) of humans has been found in 1 case per 1 million population per year. Source: CDC
New Variant CJD (vCJD) of humans. As of December 1, 2003, one case in the United States (note: the U.S. case was reported in a person who resided in the United Kingdom during a key exposure period of the U.K. population to the BSE agent). Source: CDC

Safety Precautions

To prevent BSE from entering the United States, APHIS has restricted the importation of certain cattle products from the United Kingdom and other countries where BSE was diagnosed.

The European Union recently determined that feed of nonruminant origin was potentially cross-contaminated with the BSE agent. USDA has taken emergency action to prevent potentially cross-contaminated products from entering the United States.

to me the usda/APHIS/fda allowed it to gain entry to our country, now they would like us to pay for it with there nais program..why must we import food into this country anyway or feed products for our animals that were once allowed. seems we have plenty of farmers here to take care of that..

Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie, the reason I mentioned BSE is owing to its being the source of the previous `hysteria du jour' (not unlike H5N1 - for which - I might add - effective vaccines for chooks now exist with testing continuing in humans).

The Congress didn't take a vow to refuse lobbbyists and if the Big guys can't move meat to the Far East, again, the USDA will be under more pressure (along with those states with large producers) to implement in a draconian fashion.

I hope folks in other states continue to twist tail to put their own brand on NAIS.

If my brother, who lives down in Oaxaca, Mexico, can ever make the arrangements and I actually receive fertile Ocellated Turkey eggs, I've got the NPIP paperwork ready to go.

Take care and good luck,

John

Ed:sp.
sad.png

Last edited:
Charlie, sending money to my bro to make `proper arrangements' is what I do in lieu of playing the lottery
roll.png

I may be one cynical cuss, but I can see those Ocellated's flying in my dreams.

Have a great day!

Quote:
Are these people sane? How can some one think they have the right to even tuch your animals in some one who you might not even know has a few chickens with an illness.
Thats just wrong

Just received this in an email. You can verify at <[email protected]>:

" On or about 12:15 pm on January 29th 2009, two men arrived in a black car, one approached the front door, I tapped on the window and indicated to go to the back door. The taller of the two held out his hand and stated he was Duane Brander. I refused his hand shake and asked them if they had a warrant and if not, to vacate the property. Duane responded that I would have to renew my premises registration or face charges; he asked if I was familiar with the case in Clark Co. I stated I was and that I had not registered the premises, the accomplice indicated that someone else must have done it for me. I stated that they DATCP had and that I would not register as it was unconstitutional, Duane stated that he was sorry I felt that way and was aware that I was opposed to the program. His accomplice, who never introduced himself, stated that it must have been registered as a dairy; I informed him I have never had a dairy. I proceeded to inform them that they were engaged in fraud as I had exhausted administrative process against Dr. Paul McGraw pursuant to USC 5 (556). Mr. Brander stated Dr. McGraw was his boss and that they were here to inform me that I was to be charged.

In an ironic twist I had cut short my conversation with Greg Niewendorf to answer the door, should have had him stay on the line for a trip down memory lane. Throughout the instance they were smiling, reminiscent of the Monsanto representatives involved with Steve Hixon. The reference to the Clark Co. case only exposed their ignorance, as I had filed brief of Amicus Curiae in support of the defendant and a set of court docs was setting on the table. I notified a few friends in the area to be on watch. Then contacted the Sherriff and indicated to him that in order to avoid any conflict during service to contact me in advance and that I wished to be amicable in my relationship with him. Duane’s statement regarding constitutionality was identical to Robert Fourdraine’s, given years before at a Farm Bureau Convention. It is nice to know that they have so little regard for the laws that govern this country.

To those groups I have been working with I would now request their understanding if I am no longer able to commit my time as before.

Respectfully;

Paul Martin Griepentrog"
---------
So - not so "voluntary" now is it?

Sharon Sabo
Illinois

I can only report from this location, with a non-producer backyard flock. I've received over $50.00 in value from the program thus far.

You don't trap an animal without bait.
wink.png
Of course they are going to paint this as being beneficial to you and will save you trouble and money and plus, plus, plus. And don't forget the assurances that it will control disease transmission and will protect you from potential outbreaks if everyone implements this system. Do you really think they could gain compliance if they didn't first placate, soothe, lull everyone into a sense of the "benefits" of the program?

When that cage door slams shut, do you want to be on the outside or the inside?
wink.png

I can only report from this location, with a non-producer backyard flock. I've received over $50.00 in value from the program thus far.

...and how much will it cost to own a reader, chip each bird (yes that is required), report the 16 "events" (birth, death, movement, etc) within 48 hours via electronic reporting, keep a copy of those records for back up, invest your time (minimum wage?) to do the reporting, comply with the inspections, etc?

Who paid more for your product?
Why?

Sharon Sabo
Illinois​

Well, implementation is state/tribe controlled. So, YMMV as regards implementation. That said, I'm still waiting to have a link posted that reveals the DATE CERTAIN for the `tagging' of Backyard Chickens/Turkeys, State/Federal would be nice. Actual losses in dollars?

The gentleman who had the badly informed bureaucrats in the cheap sedan (regardless of color) show up unannounced needs to bone up on the technology available to any individual (gotta love the web). I'd no more speak with such without a camera running and a means to immediately upload (I wish I'd had this sort of dissemination tool available when I was a teenager) than I would free range our little flocks without a rifle handy.

This is how it is in Missouri at present: http://www.mda.mo.gov/ah/pdf/nais_factvsfiction.pdf

I mentioned in my first post, I signed up to actually examine this from a nonproducer angle (most of us on BYC). We have already checked into the prices for the injectable transponders (vet. thinks $25.00 per bird) for the `putative' Ocellated flock. We've also talked with our insurance agent (theft related).

I'd suggest, for those folks trying to trim the sails of their State's implentation, picking up used copies of two books: Reveille For Radicals and Rules For Radicals by Saul Alinsky (his politics were questionable, but his tactics are top shelf). It goes without saying that if you don't have all your goverment rep's and agency folk's Phone numbers and Email addresses in a bookmark folder (and use `em) it's more of a poop[sic] shoot than it is.

If you are interested in examining a national rollout: Thailand's effort might be worth keeping up with:

"Dr. Kummalue Pongsak, Director of 4P Technology Ltd and advisor to the Dept of Agriculture in Thailand, confirmed that the Advanced ID DataTRAC UHF / RFID system has been certified as the best proposal for the containment of bird flu in Thailand. The three year program includes readers and tags totaling an investment of $26,000,000.00 from the Thailand Government. Advanced ID will provide the data base management to include chicken coops, processing plants, check points, as well as slaughter house integration. There are over 700,000,000 poultry per year processed and approximately 11,000 farms that are all included in the total requirements for this program." ...

I remember, vividly, listening to late night radio in `70-`71 about how i would be `eternally infernoed' because I'd have to soon be purchasing cans of Green Giant corn with UPC's on the label. I'm of the opinion that the current lobbbying against might work out better if everyone sticks to the facts, exploits the technology, and hits the target with derisive humor (ala Twain/Alinsky).

John
In the Show Me State
(hold your friends close, and your enemies closer)​

I just about barely skimmed this topic, but from all of your points of views, I gather that you all think that the NAIS is very, very paranoid. They might as well plow through the entire country if one bird gets sick . . .
And if it is a farmer down the road, and you've never had your chickens in contact with his chickens, then why would they destroy your chickens?
After all . . .
"When a disease outbreak occurs, animal health officials need to know:

* Which animals are involved in a disease outbreak
* Where the infected animals are currently located
* What other animals might have been exposed to the disease"
So if your chickens aren't sick, and they have never been 'exposed' to the other chickens, would they destroy yours? 0.o Question of curiosity and reasonableness.
tongue.gif
to the NAIS!!

Back
Top Bottom