Mynah Bird Question.

Thanks for that post. Love that photos of you and your Mynah bird. Where do you live? I am in Thailand.

I am glad I did not clip my birds wings in the end.

I would always be against wing clipping really myself. It was just the kind of unique living arrangement he is in (not being in the house). I know if he accidently flew out of the cage he would fly away in panic, as he gets spooked by new things.

I have an aviary of budgies, and sometimes one will get out. But they never fly away for long. They can see and hear the other budgies. Some have been out for over a week having a good time with the sparrows, but won't let me catch them!!! In the end they will go into the small 'trap' cage to get some treats and that's how I catch them.

I even have a red whiskered bulbul bird. He was hand raised by me when ants destroyed his nest on our patio He has got out several times too.. and 2 times I tried to release him (as I felt sorry for him not having a mate and friends of his own kind). All of these times he always came back and landed on my head or tried to get back in his cage. He lacks the skills to find his own wild food I think and thinks he is a human not a bird. Sadly his nestmate died because I tried to see if the adults would come back and feed them after I got rid of the ants. But they did not come back and it got chilled in the night, and the survivor was nearly dead, so I decided to rescue the remained chick.

I think most birds will always come back so long as they know their outside area for a while. Problems are when a house bird gets outside for the first time and panics and has never see the outdoors before.. so flies off, and has no idea where its indoor home and cage are.

I tried to put my Mynah bird into the aviary with my insect eating birds, but he was a bully and tried to eat the other birds!!!! I have Gouldian finches, Chinese painted quails, diamond doves and captive bred ringed pair of white rumped shama birds.

I don't know if he was from the wild (I hope not). When I got him he was an unwanted pet of a acquaintance. They found him too noisy, as he had learnt to mimic a screaming parrot and did this noise most of the time!!! too noisy in the house for sure, but in the garden it's not a problem, and I am sure he likes it outside better, in the sun, breeze, seeing other mynah birds on his cage, and activity during the daytime.

I wish I had a more fun bond with him, although he is very tame, likes to 'eat' my fingers, and loves being tickled on his head (also feeds from the hand is super tame), he just will not come out of his cage now into the other one. He wants to stay in his big garden cage. I think he got scared by something when he was in the smaller cage on the patio. I am working on getting him to go into the cage again, but its been over 2 weeks with is attacked to his big cage, and I keep putting he favourite treats and fruit in it, he just refused to go into it again.

Last edited:
Hi Jak,
I am writing to you from Singapore.

One suggestion for your Mynah. Try to provide a mix of perches inside the nice big cage. Ranging from thickness of wrist as well as the one you currently using. And for variety, perch can also be made sloping 45 degree depending on space inside the cage.

If you want to know a bit more of me, read my recent introduction in Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/shanlung/posts/10157146290198421

The photos , and the videos there will be very surprising to you if you have not known me before. Especially when you see me que my white rumped shama to fly and return to his cage, as well as to me.

Far far too many folks think you need to have a baby bird to bond with you. That is a very convenient lie. Adult wild birds also can be friends.

Bird born in captivity & 353 heads // Meet Jackie
https://shanlung.livejournal.com/132671.html

October 14th, 2011
(very partial extract)

In my reports of Oberon, Ketile in a French forum http://www.perroquet.biz read of my difficulties and asked
"As a friend, wouldn't it be easier to find a bird born in captivity ??"

Ketile meant well. When I wrote my report " To Shanlung - How to do Free Flight Outside ", I mentioned that started
at a French forum. Ketile asked me then that question, and which lead to my report.

This question can be seen from two main different angles.

Angle 1

You all knew I had relationships with wild birds in the first place.

Riamfada was a wild caught CAG as seen in her open leg ring. She was a rescue and given to my charge when she was about 5-6 years old. She came to me bitey and fearful.

In about a year, she was doing free flights to me.

Yingshiong above is a white rumped shama. A shama is a songbird. He was caught from the wild at about 3 years old. He was given into my charge at about 5 years old. He flew to me on cue within a month of coming to me. Breeders of shamas told me even their breed shamas , some they hand raised, never ever landed on them. They told me above was the first ever they seen of a male shama landing on a human.

Libai is a Greater Greenleaf song bird. Caught from the wild and probably about 3 years old or so when he came to me.

Even wild caught and old birds can be so easily trained and bonded if you know how.

Understanding them is the first and most important step that can be taken.
That is the most fundamental truth in looking after birds.

One do not need a young bird be the bird from breeder or anywhere else.

If one start on this route, where will that end?
Getting younger birds?
Getting handfed birds?
Getting baby birds?
With eyes still closed?

That we get them young to imprint them that they are humans and not birds so they interact better with us?
Getting very young birds apparently caused much problems with the birds when they are older.
I wrote on this problem in
Imprinting of birds
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/130187.html

I think it is far better to let the young birdie remain with their birdie parents.
For them to know that they are birdies.

Oberon was different. When I first took him in, my main thought then was to return him back to where I felt he belonged. And I think that affected my mindset towards him. His acting as if I was the fearful bogeyman , that I dared not even change the newspapers catching his pooping for the two months he was with me.

Oberon -Returning him to the realm of Fairy Queens
http://shanlung.livejournal.com/132128.html
It was so painful at the point of his release when he only flew that 5 meters to the edge of the forest and perched there to look back at me instead of flying non stop into the forest as I thought he would.

I raise common Hill Mynahs. Do not cut wings.

My parents that stay in our house have a 3x3x8ft Aviary.

Things to remember:

It takes about 3 days to learn a word... including those you don’t want them to learn.

They can actually mimic different voices of people.

*** You must give distilled water because they do not digest iron whether you have city or country water. ***

They have a very, very short digestion system so they need extruded pellets because they also have a high metabolism... very high as in the same as a hummingbird. I use Mazuri and purchase 50lb bags through them directly because if you buy it anywhere else it has been repackaged. You WILL NOT find mynah bird food anywhere except a zoo supplier. Mazuri is great. When they eat, they have long lizzard tongues and they pick food up and eat like a lizzard.

They are feathered cats. Love cat toys but beware of string material and cotton. They do eat it and can cause a blockage. People are their toys. Mine rides on my head throughout the day.

Easily potty trained to use cage as bathroom and mine do.

My youngest are 7 months old and we count 25-30 words they continually repeat as learning new ones. HERE IS WHERE THEY BECAME MY FAVORITE... not only can they talk but they understand you and can answer correctly in the right context.

They ARE NOT high maintenance except in regards to food and water and although they can eat birds seed and things, like I said, digestion is soooo short they won’t be able to digest it fast enough to get nutrients.

If you need any help or have other questions let me know and welcome to owning one of the coolest and smartest birds EVER!

View attachment 1691091 View attachment 1691092 View attachment 1691093 View attachment 1691094
Hello there! Would you message me? I have a couple mynahs and have a few questions for you! I live in Maui, and am raising two rescues. Thank you!

I had a myna for about 4 weeks resuced it from the ground as a nestling he was so good at home but just flew away it's day 2 will he ever come back😔

Back
Top Bottom