Mycoplasma, Marek or Vitamin Deficiency?

RainbowEggsBasket

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2024
I believe I am dealing with Mycoplasma and Marek or Vitamin Definitely at the same time. I have had two types of sicknesses going on.

Type A (Mycoplasma?): Bubbly or swollen eyes. Mostly bubbly. Respiratory issues. Most of them recovered when given Tiaguard (Tiamulin). Some have caught it again. I understand outbreaks happen time to time when they are stressed, and I need to give my flock Tiamulin every month as a preventative method.

Type B (Marek/Vitamin Definitely?): Usually, suddenly lethargic then die within a day or two. Also, without any symptoms I found a couple of my chickens dead too. A few of them were paralyzed. In a day or two of paralysis, they died. One hen lost significant weight but no grey eyes. I am really hoping I am dealing with vitamin deficiency because I was thinking told vitamin deficiency symptoms are similar to Marek. I did order vitamin supplement, but I am pessimistic. I think my flock has Marek. The dead ones are both genders and pullets to 1.5 year old.

I know Mycoplasma can be manageable, but what if Type B sickness is Marek? Will I lose most of my flock? How long will I deal with Marek? Also, dealing with these two major and contagious diseases, should I give up on my dream of becoming a professional chicken breeder and just breed for my family? 🥺

Attachments

• received_424059833326336.jpeg
    received_424059833326336.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 22
Your best bet is to drop off a dead chicken at your local animal lab. I'm not sure where you're at, but in Virginia we have a bunch of them. They will perform a full necropsy, blood & tissue samples to find out cause of death and other ailments effecting them. The one close to me only charges $40 for a full work up. You either have to drop off your chicken freshly dead, or pop it in a plastic bag and refrigerate until you can drop it off.

If you have mareks in your flock, you're supposed to euthanize the entire flock and thoroughly clean everything. There may be a wait period, but I'm not certain, so you can Google it. I know some people don't, but at the very least, you can't sell or give birds away. The reason for culling the flock is because you could spread it elsewhere. If you have to start over with new chicks, most hatcheries will vaccinate for mareks for $1-$2 per chick. Well worth it. I hatch my own and buy the Mareks vaccine from ValleyVet.com. It's simple to do yourself, but it needs to be done the first day after hatching.

Good luck and I hope you're wrong about Mareks.

Yo may be right about having MG and Mareks. The symptoms sound possible. It always helps to get a professional necropsy by your state vet when you lose a bird to get confirmation. You cannot ever sell birds or hatching eggs, and need to close your flock with the symptoms and possible illnesses present. All birds will be carriers for life, and MG can pass through hatching eggs. Mareks can linger in your environment for years from feather dust and dander. Here is a list of state vets to contact in the US for a necropsy, and info on how to keep the body cold:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Yo may be right about having MG and Mareks. The symptoms sound possible. It always helps to get a professional necropsy by your state vet when you lose a bird to get confirmation. You cannot ever sell birds or hatching eggs, and need to close your flock with the symptoms and possible illnesses present. All birds will be carriers for life, and MG can pass through hatching eggs. Mareks can linger in your environment for years from feather dust and dander. Here is a list of state vets to contact in the US for a necropsy, and info on how to keep the body cold:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Good link. I'll have to bookmark that. I knew there was a wait time after having Mareks, but didn't know it could stay around that long. That's crazy. Is there any way that you know to speed up the process or is it just a waiting game?

Your best bet is to drop off a dead chicken at your local animal lab. I'm not sure where you're at, but in Virginia we have a bunch of them. They will perform a full necropsy, blood & tissue samples to find out cause of death and other ailments effecting them. The one close to me only charges $40 for a full work up. You either have to drop off your chicken freshly dead, or pop it in a plastic bag and refrigerate until you can drop it off.

If you have mareks in your flock, you're supposed to euthanize the entire flock and thoroughly clean everything. There may be a wait period, but I'm not certain, so you can Google it. I know some people don't, but at the very least, you can't sell or give birds away. The reason for culling the flock is because you could spread it elsewhere. If you have to start over with new chicks, most hatcheries will vaccinate for mareks for $1-$2 per chick. Well worth it. I hatch my own and buy the Mareks vaccine from ValleyVet.com. It's simple to do yourself, but it needs to be done the first day after hatching.

Good luck and I hope you're wrong about Mareks.
Thank you so much for your help! Because I will not be hatching many birds especially keeping our flock to ourselves, I am not sure if vaccination is practical when it comes with 1000 shots. Also, I am afraid of needling chicks and being very on point with such an important task. Is it possible if I can breed for Marek resilient?

Thank you so much for your help! Because I will not be hatching many birds especially keeping our flock to ourselves, I am not sure if vaccination is practical when it comes with 1000 shots. Also, I am afraid of needling chicks and being very on point with such an important task. Is it possible if I can breed for Marek resilient?
That would be a lot of needle sticks. I'm only hatching 20 chicks at a time, so it's a little easier. I use an auto injection needle setup that's much easier than you'd think to use, and it is very fast. That said, if you're really not comfortable doing it, don't do it.

I know some breeds are more susceptible to Mareks, silkies, polish, & seabrights being a few. I would imagine some breeds are less likely to contract it, but I don't know the specific breeds. The trouble with breeding for Mareks resistance would be the simple fact that there's no way to tell until they get it. At that point, you're needlessly culling a lot of birds. Some birds also carry Mareks without showing symptoms for a long time, so I don't think that's a viable option.

That would be a lot of needle sticks. I'm only hatching 20 chicks at a time, so it's a little easier. I use an auto injection needle setup that's much easier than you'd think to use, and it is very fast. That said, if you're really not comfortable doing it, don't do it.

I know some breeds are more susceptible to Mareks, silkies, polish, & seabrights being a few. I would imagine some breeds are less likely to contract it, but I don't know the specific breeds. The trouble with breeding for Mareks resistance would be the simple fact that there's no way to tell until they get it. At that point, you're needlessly culling a lot of birds. Some birds also carry Mareks without showing symptoms for a long time, so I don't think that's a viable option.
I see. Can you please let me know where you got your auto injection needle stuff and how do you store and administer the vaccine?

Back
Top Bottom