My week old ducklings are becoming less active?

Mamma Duck

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
Illinois
Hi guys! I'm new to BYC, but I have been reading all your forums for the past couple of weeks. Anyway, I have two cayuga ducklings that i ordered from a place called cackle hatchery. They are 9 days old now, and I notice them becomeing less active. One of the little ducklings has always had a walking problem, so I have to take special care for her. They are growing very rapidly but becomeing less active. All they wanna do is lay around. I don't have a bird feed store, and all the other pet stores around me dont sell duckling food. So they eat baby food that has niacin, egg yolk, carrots and ground chicken. They love it and eat a jar a day. They also eat cut up earth worms, cooked carrots, Apple sauce, and 100% whole grain rolled oats oat meal. They have automatic water feeders so they never have a problem with not finding water when they need it. They live in my basement with two heat lamps and two connected dog cages. I spend about 6-7 hours a day spending time with them. But today they didn't want to play or run after me as they usually do. This is my first time raising ducks, although I have had many other pets from a sheep to a lizard. is there anything I'm doing wrong that could be affecting their energy level? Please help

I've never raised ducks but their diet may be the problem. Look up feed stores in your area. It may be a drive to get there but make a list and get adequate quantities when you make the trip. Shipping is usually too expensive so I won't suggest that. A proper diet might make al the difference. At least your post will go back up so it can be seen by others.

Back
Top Bottom