My hen isn’t opening her one eye

crunchygranola

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
This morning when I let my chickens out of their run, I noticed one of my most active chickens, Babygirl, stayed behind in a corner of her coop. I opened it up and started talking to her, when she started squeaking helplessly and looked at me— one of her eyes wasn’t open. She seemed very scared and discombobulated, so I scooped her up gently and examined her. She eventually did open her eye, but I didn’t see any bleeding, scratching, or cloudiness. She’s very reserved right now, and has a hard time finding food or water. Her flock noticed that she wasn’t with them, and immediately came for her. One chicken in particular tried leading her to food and water and stayed with her in her little coop where she felt comfortable. Props to Charles!
She’s one of the most submissive chickens I have, and the rooster I have has been trying to mate with my girls. He’s not super aggressive, but chicken mating isn’t always gentle…
He also stays by her side when Charles (another hen) isn’t there to watch her. What can I do?
IMG_3345.jpeg
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3353.jpeg

This morning when I let my chickens out of their run, I noticed one of my most active chickens, Babygirl, stayed behind in a corner of her coop. I opened it up and started talking to her, when she started squeaking helplessly and looked at me— one of her eyes wasn’t open. She seemed very scared and discombobulated, so I scooped her up gently and examined her. She eventually did open her eye, but I didn’t see any bleeding, scratching, or cloudiness. She’s very reserved right now, and has a hard time finding food or water. Her flock noticed that she wasn’t with them, and immediately came for her. One chicken in particular tried leading her to food and water and stayed with her in her little coop where she felt comfortable. Props to Charles!
She’s one of the most submissive chickens I have, and the rooster I have has been trying to mate with my girls. He’s not super aggressive, but chicken mating isn’t always gentle…
He also stays by her side when Charles (another hen) isn’t there to watch her. What can I do? View attachment 3838049View attachment 3838050View attachment 3838054
She hasn’t left my arms, either…

Back
Top Bottom