My guard goose has some type of eye issue. Cloudy discharge and weak looking eyes.

Makin Groceries

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2022
My guard goose has some type of eye issue. Cloudy discharge and weak looking eyes. He was also very grumpy with his chickens and sleeping more. I've used homeopathic pink eye drops for the last 1 and a half days and it seems to have helped with him being more himself and clearer eyes. But his eyes still look different around the edges. Yesterday I noticed what looked like red dots like he could have been peeked around one of his eyes. I stopped giving him treats from the feed cup fearing the dust from the scratch could have irritated them. The chickens will sneeze a lot when I throw the grains out so I figure its irritating. However, wondering if this might be a symptom of something bigger. Would like to know more about deficiencies possible related to this or anything else that might help him. Thanks.

Could you post a picture of his eyes?

There are a number of things that could cause this, it could be something irritating eyes, but it could also be a bacterial or fungal infection as well as a virus.

Do you know what's growing around the property? Also do they get a tub or bucket they can wash in? All basic stuff I know.
He has a large feed bucket that I fill with water 2ce a day from our 2.5 acre pond. He try’s to get in it and bathe but his body only fits. Gave him a small tub so he can use it to wash his face and nostril. It’s deep enough for that. He has access to the pond but won”t go in it unless I coach him from a floating warf. He comes in and bathes and shows off only if I’m with him.

They are better since I started the homeopathy for pink eye which is for an infection. No more goop in them.

Attachments

• 84F5284A-F279-41FD-AF96-1D55AB810B7D.jpeg
    84F5284A-F279-41FD-AF96-1D55AB810B7D.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 63634921-AD22-4988-A377-4C6D5C2789CD.png
    63634921-AD22-4988-A377-4C6D5C2789CD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
No offense, but I really have my doubt about homeopathy, I tend to refer to it as bottles of wishes. Now this is exactly what my dog is going through, and right now I'm weening him off prednisone, but I don't recommend you giving your goose any without researching first.

They are better since I started the homeopathy for pink eye which is for an infection. No more goop in them.
This goop is very concerning, you say it’s improved since you started giving the pink eye drops? What brand are they?

Something like that is definitly some sort of infection, AGeese is right about homeopathy medications, most of the time they aren’t fully effective because they treat symptoms and not the source of an infection, and without microbial testing the ingredients may not even be suited to the right issue.

The cloudiness in the eye is coming from some sort of bacteria, or it could be an ocular aspergillosis infection, either way this is a more serious issue that should be looked at by a vet, especially if it’s fungal, antibiotics won’t even treat that.

Back
Top Bottom