My first post

Companihen

In the Brooder
May 9, 2024
Hello all... just registered and excited to be here. I have 6 hens atm, 3 black copper marans 2 and half yos, 2 cream legbars 18mo and 1 lavender araucana bantam... she is maybe 4 yos. All very good layers and happy hens. Apart from my bantam, she's very feisty šŸ¤£ and I also have also just purchased 18 hatching eggs. 6 silkies and 12 silkie, frizzle mixes. So excited. My bantam is currently broody and has been sitting 17 days already on non fertile eggs or nothing if I've removed the eggs. Could I give her some of these new hatching eggs or has she sat too long? Appreciate any advice for my companion hens ā¤ļø

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Do you have an incubator? Or two more potentially broody hens? As you might have known, 1 hen can't sit on 18 eggs.

I personally would not allow your broody hen who has been broody already for over two weeks, sit on your hatching eggs for three more weeks. I have stopped allowing mine to be broody. It's hard work when you have a lot of silkie hens to keep "quarantining" but they look so much healthier now than before I started doing that.

If you have no incubator, you could split the eggs between two nests and see if your other hens suddenly take an interest. I know if I did that, I'd have hens fighting over who gets to sit on them. :gig

Back
Top Bottom