My first ever crop issue, 10-week-old Pullet

Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon
Just added to chicks water. I'll drench blue girl tonight. I was reading about moldy food and outdoor water possible sour crop causes. I've been giving them mash feed but it's never been moldy, but they do indeed have a water bowl in their grow out run that has been getting rain water......

Were you treating sour crop? Of the crops issues, her's would be "sour" because it's not hard, it's a big squishy balloon like people describe.
Stretching neck to adjust crop is a very typical sign of sour crop. Definitely do Miconazole treatment. The hard part is to figure out what causes the sour crop. It could be worm, illness, impacted crop, etc. It wouldn't hurt to treat for Coccidiosis. I would also give her coconut oil and massage her crop several times a day. Hopefully, she will get better. If not, then you may want to try crop flushing, deworming, and other treatments.

Just added to chicks water. I'll drench blue girl tonight. I was reading about moldy food and outdoor water possible sour crop causes. I've been giving them mash feed but it's never been moldy, but they do indeed have a water bowl in their grow out run that has been getting rain water......
My Maran is always getting her crop clogged by eating too much grass. Does your chick have access to grass?

Pretty Girl!

Poop looks pretty good.

Could be that she's ingested some bedding/straw and has a slight impaction.

Do you give your chicks grit? It's one of those things I think is a "must" for chicks regardless of age or what they are fed.
Anyway...

I agree, I'd give coconut oil too, it won't hurt. See if you can get the crop moving.

Aren't they just a pain to handle sometimes!
Try swaddling her in a towel, capture her wings so she can't move around as much. Me, I like to stand up when treating birds, so I place them on a table so they can stand up too. I pull them to my body, lock them in with an elbow, that gives me quite a bit of control and I have 2 hands to use.

I do give chick grit. This particular chick is a chow hound and loves grit. I FINALLY have my partner in chicken treatment, 4 hands and we're heading out now to lock up and treat this lady (she needs a name eventually, I'll just call her Stevie Chicks for now.) We're reading back through many of your posts trying find the correct dosage.....

Me, I like to stand up when treating birds, so I place them on a table so they can stand up too. I pull them to my body, lock them in with an elbow, that gives me quite a bit of control and I have 2 hands to use.
ME too. This is perfect for my setup. We're about to do Corid drench + 1% Clotrimazole + coconut oil.

1st treatment done. Wrapped patient in towel and administered Corid drench, I swear I give advice and send links to many people but draw a blank when I'm in the moment. She got a full syringe of Corid anyhow, and 2cc of 1% Clotrimazole. I brought liquid coconut oil with me but stopped for the night, put her with her mates on roost bar. She's pretty wobbly from the big crop. I'll do coconut oil in the am.

Back
Top Bottom