My egg turner isn't working, it's day 9, will they hatch?

snowbunny80

Hatching
Feb 13, 2015
Seattle
I finally broke down and bought a new incubator with an automatic egg turner. I successfully hatched 3 beautiful babies from this incubator (from 7 eggs) and decided to go full throttle. I put in 43 eggs 9 days ago and just today I noticed that the darn turning wasn't turning. It makes sounds but not working. I am assuming that it hasn't been working this whole time. I hate opening the lid to turn them but that's what I started to do. Will they still hatch? Temp and humidity are perfect but drops when you open lid (naturally). Has anyone had this issue? Did the eggs hatch? Thanks for any feed back.

If it just stopped working then they may still hatch, I have about 8 eggs in my incubator that hold 48. I don't have an egg turner so I turn mine by hand. I cut an egg carton in two pieces and have two rows and turn them like that. I haven't hatched any yet but when I candle them I see the chicks moving inside. I have some that are on 21 days tomorrow so I will let you know with those. Good luck;) hope this helps;)

Is this a Janoel type incubator? If so, just check that the plastic clip that connects the motor to the rocker trays hasn't slipped out its groove directly behind the motor, this happened to one of ours, and you just have to slide the clip back into its spot.

When ours stopped it was sometime between day 3 and day 15. We still got a fairly good hatch. Opening the lid and turning them won't make too much difference to the temperature inside the egg, which is the important thing. Most broody hens get off their eggs for a few minutes at least every day, so just think of opening the lid to turn them the same as the hen sitting up to turn them herself.
A small dip in temp/humidity won't do any harm - we just hatched 85% of eggs that were in incubators that lost power for 4 hours, dropping their temperatures to 26C in the process. I did lose a lot of guinea fowl eggs due to that, but the chicken eggs coped just fine.

I finally broke down and bought a new incubator with an automatic egg turner. I successfully hatched 3 beautiful babies from this incubator (from 7 eggs) and decided to go full throttle. I put in 43 eggs 9 days ago and just today I noticed that the darn turning wasn't turning. It makes sounds but not working. I am assuming that it hasn't been working this whole time. I hate opening the lid to turn them but that's what I started to do. Will they still hatch? Temp and humidity are perfect but drops when you open lid (naturally). Has anyone had this issue? Did the eggs hatch? Thanks for any feed back.
Did any hatch from this batch where the turner was off?

Back
Top Bottom