Xetreverse Exotics

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2021
Hey so, I am new to keeping ducks but not to chickens as I've had those before ducks. Currently has 9 ducklings, just about a month old by now. Previously had 10, casaulty to disease. Two different breeds, 4 silver appleyards and 5 welsh harlequins. Used to have 5 silver appleyards. They are all hens, or are supposed to be at least.

Interestingly yesterday, I just noticed one of my ducklings had feathers on the legs, was very excited to show her to my family. Then today's observation, I found that every single one of my welsh harlequin ducklings have pin feathers or feathering on their legs. Barely noticeable but it is there. I find this to be very fascinating as I did not know that ducks had feet feathers. I was very surprised at this very recent discovery.

Does anyone else have ducks that has feet feathers too? Or do I just happen to have gotten mutants for a breed of duck? There was nothing that I have researched that said anything about welsh harlequin ducks having feet feathers whatsoever so this has me running for more research and it seems that this isn't a common thing to happen in ducks? Is it usual for welsh harlequins to have this? I am seemingly unable to find anything of mention on feet feathers specifically on welsh harlequins. They're supposed to be purebreds, the both breeds. They're from McMurray Hatchery. So if anyone has anything to say, share or information I can learn from, anything really, I would really love it.

Do you have any pictures?
Sorry these aren't the best photos but I had to do this when it was dark out! Otherwise they will never sit still enough for me to take any photos of them. I tried my best to show what feathers they have on their legs, well barely noticeable as said, but they are more like, pin feathers, white in color. Hopefully it is enough to see the small feathers on the sides, it was a little hard since barely noticeable on top of that.
IMG_20210924_200121309.jpg

A duckling with leg feathers, not as noticeable as the others but there.

IMG_20210924_200229375.jpg

This one, dunno if can be seen, but this one has the leg feathers. They're white in color.

IMG_20210924_200401921.jpg
IMG_20210924_200419565.jpg

This other duckling with the feathers on the legs as well.

IMG_20210924_200458231.jpg

I also threw in a photo of all my ducklings I have cause why not, they're pretty big already I know lol. Well, almost all of them. Blurry whoop X~x

But yeah, this is what i managed. If better or more pictures or even videos are needed, I'll more than definitely try tomorrow for better pictures.

I can definitely see them. Interesting. You're very observant!
Ay, then I did good with the pics. But yes, I surely am very observant. I'm always on the lookout for things even if small details, can tell a whole lot.

The fact that about half of my ducklings have leg feathers is just so interesting and shocking. I'm definitely looking forward to how much of the feathers will grow to be.

I'm very curious if it is a breed specific trait that I was completely unaware of and somehow missed this detail in researching the breed? Or I just happen to have gotten myself an oddball genetic strain of welsh harlequin ducks? Either way, I'd be more than looking forward to breed more of this trait if these feathers stay as they grow up to be adults.

Back
Top Bottom