My crowing "HEN"!?

Buff Orpington, Hen or Roo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lucy-feathers

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
Hi everyone, I have just started raising chickens for the first time. I have a small flock of 6, 1 ROO and 5 HENS, or so I thought. This A. M. my "Henrietta " started crowing. Is this a common thing or do I have a "henry" in disguise? The culprit is the Golden Buff Orpington.
IMG_20190706_202820.jpg
IMG_20190706_202820.jpg

If he's under a year old and crowing, that's a rooster. The stories you hear of crowing hens are older, more mature birds. If you have a more obvious/ dominant rooster, it's not unusual for the secondary rooster to develop less obvious sex characteristics and crow less because he's being sumbissive. I would keep both until you know who's nicest and then eat one.

If he's under a year old and crowing, that's a rooster. The stories you hear of crowing hens are older, more mature birds. If you have a more obvious/ dominant rooster, it's not unusual for the secondary rooster to develop less obvious sex characteristics and crow less because he's being sumbissive. I would keep both until you know who's nicest and then eat one.
Thanks, I have figured out that the NOT so obvious, will be the first one in the pot... He is a BUff Orpington, and VERY much a bully!

Back
Top Bottom