My chickens won’t use horizontal water nipples.

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
First time chicken owner here.

Is there any way that I can train my chickens to use the horizontal nipples? I have both that bucket(which has a heater to keep the water from freezing in the winter) and a standard waterer available. My chickens will use the nipples if I show it to them by hitting them myself several times first, but then go back to completely ignoring it. My concern is them being able to get enough water in the winter if they don’t learn to use it. (Yes, I am a lazy chicken keeper and don’t want to go out there several times a day to renew their water.) They also manage to dirty the water in the standard waterer no matter how I place it.

I’m anti nipples, they freeze here even with a heating puck and my girls didn’t like it , mine also dripped and it wasn’t homemade ,

I raise my 5 gallon waterer up on a tree stump then place two x fours around it . Basically they have to jump up to the water . I clean it out once a week, more if it’s a million degrees as algae grows .

We made a cookie tin with a lightbulb heater for each of these, these don’t freeze in the coop

Attachments

• 49D49612-F3FA-42FD-9964-237CD9BC5048.png
    49D49612-F3FA-42FD-9964-237CD9BC5048.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 19
If I'm understanding correctly, your chickens know how to use the horizontal nipples. If that's the case (and even if it isn't), remove all other water sources. The chickens will use the horizontal nipples and get plenty to drink in all seasons.

If I'm understanding correctly, your chickens know how to use the horizontal nipples. If that's the case (and even if it isn't), remove all other water sources. The chickens will use the horizontal nipples and get plenty to drink in all seasons.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that’s what I should do and that they’d figure it out, but I guess I just would feel bad if they get thirsty.....I might be a little too attached to them

:welcome
Take out the standard waterer and leave the horizontal nipple waterer in there. Put it up so the nipples are at back height of the chickens. If they were using them, then you shouldn't have a problem, once you remove the other waterer. I never had to train mine. I start my chicks on horizontals at 2 weeks. I recently made a 14 gallon waterer with horizontal nipples and I have a 5 gal also.
15 Gallon Waterer.jpg

First time chicken owner here.

Is there any way that I can train my chickens to use the horizontal nipples? I have both that bucket(which has a heater to keep the water from freezing in the winter) and a standard waterer available. My chickens will use the nipples if I show it to them by hitting them myself several times first, but then go back to completely ignoring it. My concern is them being able to get enough water in the winter if they don’t learn to use it. (Yes, I am a lazy chicken keeper and don’t want to go out there several times a day to renew their water.) They also manage to dirty the water in the standard waterer no matter how I place it.
Mine won't use them either, so now I just use a regular waterer. I felt like they were not getting enough water that way anyhow. I wish they would use the nipples, but they won't unless I poke them with my finger!

:welcome
Take out the standard waterer and leave the horizontal nipple waterer in there. Put it up so the nipples are at back height of the chickens. If they were using them, then you shouldn't have a problem, once you remove the other waterer. I never had to train mine. I start my chicks on horizontals at 2 weeks. I recently made a 14 gallon waterer with horizontal nipples and I have a 5 gal also.View attachment 1498867
How often do you need to change the water in one so big? And how many chickens is that for?

I agree with others. If your chickens know how to use the nipples, then remove all the other water. I have never worried about my chickens learning to use horizontal nipples. I've always assumed that they'd peck the red spots due to curiosity and they'd figure it out. I put the nipple waterer in the run and and forget about them. Never had a problem.

Mine won't use them either, so now I just use a regular waterer. I felt like they were not getting enough water that way anyhow. I wish they would use the nipples, but they won't unless I poke them with my finger!
Yep, exactly what mine do! Very frustrating since that means they know HOW, they just WON’T.

How often do you need to change the water in one so big? And how many chickens is that for?

The big one is only two weeks old. I rinse out my waterers every month or two. They don't get dirty inside or build up any algae. I add fresh water to each of them every week. One is inside the coop, the other in the run and not exposed to very much sun. I have 18 chickens. The big waterer will last 2 weeks, if I didn't add water to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom