My chickens meet for the first time!~ How did that go???PICS

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Well...I started out with 10 girls who were nine weeks old. Then I had three other little girls who were about 5 - 6 weeks old that I had added last week. The girls picked on them a little but by the end of the third day they seemed to be ok. SO I let the little girls spend the night in the hen house and all was well in the a.m. In the meantime I got two free welsummer hens from a friend who were both in quarantine for about 30 days. All is well with them so I added them in the kennel which is in the hen house. There was a little pecking through the cage but nothing to bad. The second day I thought well, I may as well try letting them out becasue they had the saddest bawlk I have ever heard! I felt so bad for them being so penned up and so big! SO I stood near by and watched as I opened the door to the outside run thinking there was going to be a huge fight. The big girls walked right by the others and first thing they did was take a dust bath. CUTE. They flapped their big feathers SO happy to be FREE finally. One has a bare back from being over mated so one of my girls saw that and started pecked...peck one...nothing...peck two...still nothing...peck three....The big girl had enough and pecked back pretty hard. NOT one more peck after that between anyone!
lau.gif
I think MY girls KNOW who is the boss of the run now. NOW they had a taste of their own medicine. They have not even bugged the little little girls anymore.
big_smile.png
SO all is well and I captured some pictures of my new crew. I still have three or four to add later one and I HOPE it goes this smoothly!

Here is my giant cochin pair "Steele and Addison- babycakes" Addison can now jump on the roost but Steele cannot (same age) so every night he comes toddling up to me so I can pick him up and lift him up on the roost
lau.gif
He is just the sweetest roo ever!

Gcochinpair.jpg

Here is the three littlest ones I added last week A buff orp and 2 Australorpe's They are my best bud trio and when one gets separated it
hit.gif
until it's found by the other two...SO CUTE! When I am sitting in the run with the girls they will stay right next to me because the know I protect them. Britney always has her wings over Nicole and Paris. HAHA cute names huh! My hubby asked if I named them that because the don't wear any underware!
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

triolove.jpg

And here are the whole crew...the two welsummers are on either side of the big girls and all my girls are squashed in the middle on the top roost
lau.gif
The middle ones were trying to make the others move over a bit but the end ones were like..OH NO i'm NOT going by those big birds! LOL I have a wonderful flock here...I just LOVE them!

alltogether.jpg

firstnightalltogether.jpg

Last edited:
Your girls are so beautiful
love.gif

I'm glad there was no major drama!!! I wish I had a huge hen to put in with my 16wk pullets...a couple of them could use a dose of their own medicine...
gig.gif

Thanks everyone! They are the best...LOVE spending time with them and SO glad that everyone is getting along! WHEW! One more add and that should be it for my "crew". I just hope they all live through that!

<singing like Bette Midler> You are the pullet beneath my wiiiiings...

THAT is so cute!
love.gif
Your so right! Just looking at them made me almost cry! LOL My husband is thinkg...."women!"
lau.gif
I went in there say HUN LOOK! AWWW, THAT IS SO CUTE! WHERE IS MY CAMERA!?
lau.gif
He think's i'm so mushy!

Thanks tiki for the compliment on my coop
big_smile.png
I love it! It's painted with high gloss oil based paint and man is it easy to clean!​

Back
Top Bottom