My chickens haven't started laying-shoulld I worry?

truittsosebee

Hatching
9 Years
May 10, 2010
I'm brand new to chickens and love this website; so much great information available! I got my chickens 10 days ago (2 Dominique hens, 2 ISA Brown hens, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben pullet). All the hens are around a year old and all were laying before I got them. They have a nice coop with plenty of room, plenty of layer feed and fresh water, lots of treats, and plenty of attention. They all seem very healthy and VERY happy. My wife and I are actually quite shocked at how much personality chickens exhibit, and how "friendly" they are. One of the Dominiques layed an egg on day 3, and nothing else. I've read that chickens will stop laying eggs for a while when they are moved to a new home, but how long should I expect before they start laying regularly? I will be glad to have the fresh eggs once they start laying, but mostly I just want to be sure nothing is wrong with my chickens. Also, at what age should we expect our pullet to start laying? She's only about 8 weeks old now, and my wife has really spoiled her already (okay, maybe I've spoiled her a little too; she's just soooo cute!)

Chickens do not like change! They will take a short while to relax. They will begin to lay again! If they donot start to lay in a week or two. I would use the cayanne pepper treatment. I use 2 tbl sp of cayanne pepper powder mixed in a pan of corn bread. Chickens dont taste heat like we do!!! The capsaicen (how ever you spell it) Kick starts the reproductive cycle again. It will Not hurt them but it will make then begin to lay again in about 3-4 days! Congrats on the new birds!
Chickens have to feel safe and relaxed before they will start to lay! Most chickens will start to lay at about 20-22 weeks old. some take a lil longer some a lil less!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited:
Some chickens lay within a few days of a move, others take a month. I wouldn't worry about things unless you pass the month mark. It seems that most settle in within around two weeks or so. Your little one has a ways to go...lol. Mine began laying anywhere from 21-24 weeks, but for some it's earlier, and for others it's later. Good luck with your new hens! They are such enjoyable little animals!

i also picked up 2 yr old dominques just last friday, one of them has giving me an egg a day since sunday afternoon, and nothing from the other so it also depends on the bird.

They just need more time to settle in and feel comfortable in their new surroundings. It sounds like you are doing a great job with their care, keep up the love and they'll reciprocate soon enough! And
welcome-byc.gif
we're happy to have you!

WooHoo!!! Egg #2 is here! Beth (one of the ISA Brown's) just went up into the roost box and laid an egg. :DWhat? Doesn't everyone name their chickens?

Quote:
I certainly do! I even thank the girls individually, by name, when they lay an egg - most of them lay pretty recognizable eggs. (A couple are very similar, so if I gather the eggs later, after work, I thank both the girls who lay similar eggs.) I used to have the names of mine in my sig line, but it got too long because I listed their breeds, as well. But here goes:

Carl the rooster.
Laying pullets/hens:
Rebecca, EE.
Matilda, Black Australorp.
Buffy, Buff Orpington
Greta, Black Sex-link
Bernadette, Cuckoo Marans,
Lacey, Silver Laced Wyandotte
Minerva & Millicent, Gold Lakenvelders - I bought these as layers and they took about a week, week and a half, to start laying regularly after they arrived.

Not laying yet:
Ellen, Bantam Blue Cochin
Rhoda, RIR
Laverne & Shirley, Welsummers
Betsy, Plymouth Barred Rock

Even younger girls only 6 wks old:
Lola, Bantam Black Cochin
Charlotte, Buff Brahma
Alice & Georgia, Silver Sebright (not positive they're girls yet.... if not, their names can be changed to Alex and/or George)

Back
Top Bottom