My chick’s right side of their chest is protruding???

morganross

Chirping
May 9, 2023
Hi Guys!

A chick my niece brought home two days ago from work has my concern.

She said that she’s watched this baby at work for almost four days before making the decision to bring it home after watching it get rejected from the other chickens that lived there, & did not see a mother hen or flock that matched its pattern.

When she brought it home, it was very fatigued, had a massive lump on the right side of its chest, fluff missing from its wing areas & below the wings, as well as what looked like lice?

I’d like to know what I can do for this little one! It’s very sweet & oh so small, I want to help it & if anyone has any suggestions please, please, please help me! I don’t want to lose her or watch her suffer :( If you need better pictures let me know!

Thank you guys so much for being here <3

Attachments

• 31343CAF-8E76-47E7-ACB9-FD0021423737.jpeg
    31343CAF-8E76-47E7-ACB9-FD0021423737.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 9E46B4C4-51D7-4CF6-8426-6484968A8659.jpeg
    9E46B4C4-51D7-4CF6-8426-6484968A8659.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 10
Hopefully the lump on the right side of the chest is just its crop? You should be able to see it go up and down based on activity periods. If it sleeps a good time it should empty or reduce, when it has a big meal it should fill up. Sorry if you've already ruled this out but just wanted to mention!!

Sorry to double-post, just putting my other thoughts together. Someone more experienced will be along soon! But in the meantime a mirror can help a singleton chick feel less lonely, and you can give a weak chick a boost with some Gatorade or electrolytes. Boiled or scrambled eggs can help, too.

Can you describe the lice looking bugs a bit more? I use permethrin spray on my grown girls but you may need a different solution for a wee baby. Definitely needs to be dealt with though, they can cause weakness from blood loss.

Hopefully the lump on the right side of the chest is just its crop? You should be able to see it go up and down based on activity periods. If it sleeps a good time it should empty or reduce, when it has a big meal it should fill up. Sorry if you've already ruled this out but just wanted to mention!!
Crop? I’ve never heard of that! :0
I will pay attention to that more closely! Thank you for you help Coop <3 I’m not too experienced with chicks

Sorry to double-post, just putting my other thoughts together. Someone more experienced will be along soon! But in the meantime a mirror can help a singleton chick feel less lonely, and you can give a weak chick a boost with some Gatorade or electrolytes. Boiled or scrambled eggs can help, too.

Can you describe the lice looking bugs a bit more? I use permethrin spray on my grown girls but you may need a different solution for a wee baby. Definitely needs to be dealt with though, they can cause weakness from blood loss.
No worries Coop!
I think you’re doing a wonderful job helping me out! Thank you again, I’ll also try the mirror trick tonight! & I’m going to the store for sure to get her some of that!

The lice are very thin & a bit long, almost like human lice (if that makes sense?) They we’re by the lump, the base of her neck, & by her chest.

Does your niece have other chickens? An only chicken is a lonely chicken! A mirror is a good temporary solution but over the long haul it needs a flock.
Unfortunately she doesn’t! Me & my nephew had two chickens, unfortunately his didn’t make it. Mine is about 4 months old now!
I’ll definitely try that mirror trick for her! Thank you BigBlue! <3

Back
Top Bottom