hannakat

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Beaver County, PA
sad.png
Tigger's proud tail is hanging straight down
sad.png

We don't know what happened but he must have fallen and landed on his butt. His bladder and bowels seem to be functioning okay, which is a relief. He can make the end of his tail move and he also has feeling in it.

I'm hoping he gets enough movement back so that we won't have to have it amputated to keep it clean...so far so good, not that I feel any of this is good.

Looking for anyone who might have already dealt with this.

My poor Tigger.

hi there

normally if a tail is truely broken, there will be no movement, no feeling and it will feel cold, all signs of needing amputation.
i would get him to a vets today. if it has been injured anti inflammatories will most likely be needed.
good news bladder and bowels working ok.
hope it all turns out ok
smile.png

So it's broken all the way at the base of the tail? Yep....I'd get him to the vet. They will probably have to amputate it. I had a dog years ago that broke her tail mid way, but it wasn't a complete break and it did heal pretty well with no amputation. I think your cat's break sounds more serious though. Poor kitty!!

I had this happen to a cat of mine, we think a horse stepped on his tail and he tried to run off. With him it was nerve damage, and eventually he regained full use of his tail. A visit to the vet is definitely in order, but if he can move the tip I am hopeful that he will recover!

Thank you for the good vibes!

The vet did give Tigger a shot to fight inflamation. She said that it would work in his system for 3 days and that they don't give cats anti-inflamatory medication other than that.

It's definitely broken...about 1-1/2 inches from the base. She even humored me and 'splinted' it. She said they splint dog tails but not cat tails, but if I wanted it wrapped, she'd be happy to try. So far it's holding although he isn't particularly happy with it.

We're hopeful that it won't need amputated
fl.gif
fl.gif

I was just hoping someone here had dealt with this and had a good outcome. We don't think it's affected the nerves...fractured the bone. As long as he can move it enough not to pee on it...all will be well!

Last edited:
You are better off going ahead and getting it amputated. We had a cat just break the tip of her tail, the entire tail ended up dying and it had to be taken off. Of course that was 20+ years ago and the vet told us it would be fine, it was for a year or two
hmm.png

My dog (i know not a cat) broke his trail it truley blew my mind when it happened it is just is one of them things that make you go how in the
duc.gif
did he do that. but my vet said to give him time see how it works. WELL it work in a way now he has a bent tail lol he is a rotti lab mix so he has the curled tail but now mid way it points straight he is my oversized scorpion lol

Back
Top Bottom