My 17 hens are eating 50lbs in less than a day , is this normal ?

Well - you have everyones attention now. I had to read this thread after seeing the title.

If we all chip in $1 we could buy this person an IP camera on the condition that they set it for all of us to view the mystery critter(s) feasting on on the buffet.
lol.png

JR79 - don't forget to give us an update when you solve the mystery. And welcome to BYC!
lol.png

Also, keep in mind chicken wire doesn't really keep things out. I agree mice and rats can pack out massive amounts of food, they're not eating it but stashing it. I'd also wonder about squirrels or similar. I agree nothing's getting there and eating that much food, it's hauling it off and hiding it.

I say its rats or mice. That's way to much feed for 17 birds. What about a game camera? Don't know where you keep the feeder but something else is definitely helping themselves. Good luck.

I sat outside the coop with a clear veiw on my feeder and to my surprise nothing but the hens touched the feed. Even though I havent seen what is steeling the feed this doesnt stop me from believing something eles is steeling my feed. And I am waiting for my neighbors barn cat to have her kittens so I can get some barn cats to hopefully help with the rats who are causing a problem with the horse feed already.Another thing is my father has a game camera and we are going to set it up in the coop . Thank You all so much for your feed back , I really appreciate it.

I sat outside the coop with a clear veiw on my feeder and to my surprise nothing but the hens touched the feed. Even though I havent seen what is steeling the feed this doesnt stop me from believing something eles is steeling my feed. And I am waiting for my neighbors barn cat to have her kittens so I can get some barn cats to hopefully help with the rats who are causing a problem with the horse feed already.Another thing is my father has a game camera and we are going to set it up in the coop . Thank You all so much for your feed back , I really appreciate it.

Can't wait to hear what you catch on camera!
pop.gif

This post was also insightful as to how much feed different amounts of chickens should be consuming!

JR79,

1 - When was the last time that you wormed, what wormer did you use and did you reworm after that?
2 - When was the last time that you treated for Coccidiosis, what did you use and did you retreat?
3 - What brand and type of feed are you using and are you offering any treats, if so what and how much are you offering?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom