Muscovy on duck and chicken eggs.

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
I have a Muscovy who decided to lay her eggs inside the barn in a metal chicken nesting box, she is normally outside in a pen with a pool but is allowed to free range too. Choco-Lot is still laying her clutch right now she has 7 eggs in the box, while she is out eating or swimming my polish (Blueberry) has been laying eggs in Choco-Lots box. I have a few questions. Should i remove Blueberrys eggs at day 18 or sooner and throw them in my incubator or leave Choco-Lot hatch them and then remove them? Will she stop sitting if i remove Blueberrys chicks? Does Choco-Lot need to swim everyday to get humidity to her eggs? It has been snowing in Wisconsin and because i have week old chicks in the barn in a brooder i dont want cold drafts coming in through the door so Choco-Lot hasn't gone swimming in a few days, is this alright? She does have a large bowl of water in by her box but not big enough for her to fit in. I've hatched chicks with broody hens and incubators but never had a broody duck. I did research but only found cases of ducks on chicken eggs not both duck and chicken. Another thing Blueberrys eggs are valuable to me as her eggs are molted Duccles/polish mix an experiment, I guess I'm hoping for a molted polish. :oops: well i did get my Polish turken so you never know lol. Either way i would really like Blueberrys eggs to hatch. Thanks any help is appreciated.

ooh. Good question. I have a single duck in with my chickens. I know little about ducks as this one was rescued by a friend and given to us. I think I would let her hatch them, then remove them. I am no expert however.

As far as the moisture for the duck eggs.
idunno.gif
I just know they need to keep their nares clean so they need to wash their face.

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. I'll be following just because I am curious.

Good luck.

Thanks Puddin Fluff. The bowl is actually a new oil drain plastic container that i found at a thrift store and i thought hmmm what can i use this for lol, plenty deep for cleaning her nares. :)

Back
Top Bottom