Muscovy Keeps biting at his stomach

Muscovy Owner

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2017
Seattle
I have a male Muscovey duck and for the past week he bends his head down and starts trying to nip at something on his stomach. It seems like he can't get whatever it is that hes reaching for and I can't figure out how to help him out. I flipped him over and felt his stomach to see if there was a wound or some type of irritation and couldn't find anything. We live in an area that doesn't have ticks or anything of the matter, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has any ideas? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

And nothing hanging out of his vent? Does he bath often? Look real close at his skin for mites or lice.
No, there is nothing hanging out of his vent. But about mites, do you have a suggestion on what to buy to put in his bath that will take care of that? Its next to impossible to get a look at his skin, he has a new coat of feathers coming in. but another observation we've had is that he doesn't bath often

If you want to put something in the water, I think a little dawn dish soap could help. I've use a little warm, soapy water before on a chicken with a severe lice infestation.

If you want to put something in the water, I think a little dawn dish soap could help. I've use a little warm, soapy water before on a chicken with a severe lice infestation.
Interesting, I've heard that before but never tried it. I guess thats probably because we've never had this problem in the past 6 years of owning this guy, haha. I am most definitely going to try that. I did contact a Vet friend of mine and said that there are drops that you apply to their neck that kill them as the dust you buy doesn't tend to have as much as an effect on ducks as it does chickens, because of the ducks many layers of feathers. But I do not know if he is correct or not but I assume he is, haha

Ivermectin or Epiernix can both be used safely and you do apply to the neck and under wings and around vent not on the vent. Years ago I heard someone say the flea products for dogs that go on the neck but you’ll have to research with ones.

Back
Top Bottom