Muscovy ducks now illegal to own. Actions duck lovers need to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think it was aimed more at pet owners that got tired of thier ducks and dumped them on public lands. After all Muscovies grow up to be massive, they just keep growing. They don't stay cute and fluffy for long. On public lands they breed like crazy, have become ferral and are just out of control.

I see your from Florida, hope you enjoy crushing mosquitos too. Cause that population of critters is about to explode, without Scovies to help keep them controlled.

It is not open season on Muscovies. If you think it is you better read that law, before you find yourself in...trouble.

The new law is enforcable, however they are not at this time enforcing it. When they have made the revisions that are coming, it will be enforced by the various states and by local various agencies. Read the law itself, it is all spelled out. Will they go looking for Muscovies everywhere, no but in some areas of the country that asked for this law, yes they will and are rounding them up.

roll.png
scovies ain't helping the skeeter population down here!

Last edited:
Wow...another moment where I will stand proud and sing "Oh Canada..." lol I'm glad this hasn't happened here...lets be realistic though...if they're going to pass stupid laws like this...we may as well make it a law that dogs, cats, horses, and cows should not be kept as domestic animals. Get real...maybe they could focus on something a little more important...hmm...I dunno...the war? Terrorism...what a joke.
hmm.png

Quote:
read the link i posted.....i think they are reconsidering backyard breeders and looking at them seperate from wild scovies and such. I have a family that comes up from the lake and i totally love watching them out the window. I would be sad to know they were killed just because. guess i would have to ducknap them before it got to that!!!

Quote:
I think it was aimed more at pet owners that got tired of thier ducks and dumped them on public lands. After all Muscovies grow up to be massive, they just keep growing. They don't stay cute and fluffy for long. On public lands they breed like crazy, have become ferral and are just out of control.

I see your from Florida, hope you enjoy crushing mosquitos too. Cause that population of critters is about to explode, without Scovies to help keep them controlled.

It is not open season on Muscovies. If you think it is you better read that law, before you find yourself in...trouble.

The new law is enforcable, however they are not at this time enforcing it. When they have made the revisions that are coming, it will be enforced by the various states and by local various agencies. Read the law itself, it is all spelled out. Will they go looking for Muscovies everywhere, no but in some areas of the country that asked for this law, yes they will and are rounding them up.

roll.png
scovies ain't helping the skeeter population down here!

If they outlawed ducks because people dump ex-pets then Pekins would have been outlawed years ago. The local guy in charge of a big park with a series of ponds says he removes over 100 pekins every year and probably another 50 of other breeds of released domestics.

This reminds me of a chicken problem they have in Miami. People let them go and they are breeding like crazy. The city has teams that hunt chicken with nets all day. All the chicken will end up as food for local homeless shelters, after they had been quarantined and check for health issues.

Quote:
I think one of the big differences could be that scovies fly (unlike Pekins), that expands their potential range tremendously. It's a tough problem, knowing when one is over reacting when it comes to potentially invasive species. I really don't have the answer to it.

... and what was the point in bringing back this old thread??

it's stupid. if they enforce it then they and kiss my behind. like prevously said by my self and others there are more important things to worry about

I feel so helpless. I cant save them from the condo people they want them killed because poop BIG DEAL. i have 9 wild ones here love them. They make it sound like all FL is being overrun by these ducks NOT TRUE People here are retired so they have nothing else to do. The ducks live mostly here around manmade lakes .If you have a lake you will have ducks so dont move there if you hate ducksI am trying to keep them alive. Had one killed by a racoon i think she was sitting on17 eggs for about 28 days before she got killed.Will the eggs hatch? if so what do i do ?Help i am a city girl trying to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom