Moving chickens to a new coop. ADVICE NEEDED

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
Moving my chickens to a new coop, how should I go about moving them. The new coop is only 20 feet away from the old coop should I keep them in the new coop for around a week before letting them out again? I also got brand new nest boxes how should I get them to use those I’m going to put golf balls in them but I don’t know if that’ll be enough. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 87ABEC20-B359-41FE-99EF-04812C6D59E7.jpeg
    87ABEC20-B359-41FE-99EF-04812C6D59E7.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 49
  • A6C4E478-9863-47E1-9659-77EE2E3818CD.jpeg
    A6C4E478-9863-47E1-9659-77EE2E3818CD.jpeg
    826 KB · Views: 14
  • A1025524-5102-493E-9163-DC82795D7B78.jpeg
    A1025524-5102-493E-9163-DC82795D7B78.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 12
Close off their old coop.
You will have to herd them into the new one or physically place them into the new coop the night you want them in there. The first night I placed my chickens in their new coop I left a light on for them so they could explore it all night long.
They will need guidance to the new coop every night for a while. But they'll get the hang of it soon enough.
As for the nest boxes, don't let the flock out until around noon after they've spent their first night in the coop. Feed and water them in it in the morning and leave the light on.
They will likely use the boxes on their own.

When I moved my birds from an old coop to a new one, I locked them in for 2 or 3 days, then when they were allowed back out the old coop was completely gone. They hung around the old coop location at dusk for 2 days (at which point we put them in the new coop) but figured it out from there. However my coop is well ventilated and I did it in spring I think, when heat wasn't an issue. I don't know how hot it is where you're at - if it's hot, it's not recommended to lock them in to rehome them to a new location.

Alternatively you can just herd them into the new one (and block off/remove old one) until they get the hang of it.

I'm not sure how hot it will get in Northern NH when you want to do this. I arbitrarily picked a Lincoln and it showed highs in the 70's to mid 80's Fahrenheit for the next ten days. If you have decent ventilation in that coop those temperatures aren't bad. Depending in how many you have leaving them in the coop section only for a week isn't a bad option. That will probably be enough to retrain them to sleep in there and lay in there somewhere. Will they lay in that nest? Maybe, even probably with those golf balls. But no guarantees. If they don't, get back to us. We may be able to help.

I don't see a run around that coop so I assume they free range. That makes it a bit harder, especially where they lay. If you are uncomfortable leaving them locked in that coop for a week, you can lock them in the new coop after dark, then block the old coop so they can't get back inside. Moving them after dark is generally the easiest way to do it. Leave them locked in the new coop as late as you can to see if at least some lay in there. It is possible some will catch on to the new coop being the place to go but more likely they will return to the area of the old coop to sleep at night. If you wait until dark they are usually pretty easy to catch. Repeat every night until they get the message about where home and a safe place to sleep is. You might try luring them into the new coop later in the day, maybe with food, and lock them in there. Some people train their chickens to come when called. That can be pretty useful.

I can imagine me trying to herd free range chickens into a new coop without benefit of fences. If they are in a run do everything the same as free range but, depending on your fences, you might be able to herd them.

When I moved my chickens out of the 3 coops they were in after we finished Neuchickenstein we carried them there after full dark and set them on the roosts.

I left them closed in for several days -- at least 3, but probably not an entire week -- which wasn't an issue because it's an Open Air coop.

Their old coops were out of sight and none of them tried to leave once I opened up the run.

I would 100% put a thermometer in there so you can see how hot that sucker gets. It looks like it has hardly any ventilation AND has no shade. Just remember if you feel like it's too hot, then the feathered coat wearers will as well. At a minimum I'd pick a week you were planning to get rain like every day and do it then. Be sure to keep the door closed and have the coops how it will be once the chickens are in it so you can get an accurate reading or you might end up coming back to baked chicken.

When I moved my birds from an old coop to a new one, I locked them in for 2 or 3 days, then when they were allowed back out the old coop was completely gone. They hung around the old coop location at dusk for 2 days (at which point we put them in the new coop) but figured it out from there. However my coop is well ventilated and I did it in spring I think, when heat wasn't an issue. I don't know how hot it is where you're at - if it's hot, it's not recommended to lock them in to rehome them to a new location.

Alternatively you can just herd them into the new one (and block off/remove old one) until they get the hang of it.
I was planning on setting up a electric fence around the new one so if they went outside they could not get to the old coop location and it would be easier to herd them in at night. But yes I would probably keep them locked in the coop with food and water for one to two days is what I’m thinking.

I would 100% put a thermometer in there so you can see how hot that sucker gets. It looks like it has hardly any ventilation AND has no shade. Just remember if you feel like it's too hot, then the feathered coat wearers will as well. At a minimum I'd pick a week you were planning to get rain like every day and do it then. Be sure to keep the door closed and have the coops how it will be once the chickens are in it so you can get an accurate reading or you might end up coming back to baked chicken.
It is really hot is what I’m starting to notice. Not so hot that it’s crazy but it’s still pretty hot. I have a booty hen in there at the moment and I set up chicken wires so ice can still keep the door open and get some air. Only during the day as at night I can shut the door

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom