Mossy, memorial stone

Gargoyle

Chiseler
13 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Fox Valley, IL
My Coop
My Coop
Mossy, a Columbian Wyandotte chicken, was with us for over 7 years. Friendly, extremely smart and observant, with a great memory and a very pleasant but strong personality, she captured our hearts, providing us not just with over 1000 eggs but with years of fun and joy. She earned her place in our pet cemetery, and I honored her memory by carving this gravestone.

Mossy-gravestone-shop (3).jpg

The stone on my workbench.

Mossy-stone-finished (11).jpg
The finished gravestone.

Mossy-stone-cemetery (9).jpg

In our pet cemetery.

Chickens-mossy-portrait-dec_2012.jpg
I based the carving on this photo of Mossy

20160717_100751.jpg

Love and loss are two certainties in this finite life of ours. Especially with such an extraordinary companion. Just as grief and remembrance inspires the human spirit to do great acts of tribute to those we've lost. I am humbled by your love for Mossy and how you've made her likeness as indelible as possible with stone.

We lost one of our chickens a few days ago, the third one this year. Bessie was named for Bessie Coleman, pioneer female aviator, because of how high and far she would fly around when she was young. At 4-1/2 years old she has been weakened since this summer; she had passed out several times in June and July, and had also fallen and hit her head once or twice, possibly mini strokes or she ate something she shouldn't have, but she seemed to be perking up the past week. Also Tessa, (full name Contessa, because of her regal demeanor) had died this spring at the age of 7 and I hadn't yet made a stone for our pet cemetery. (8 year old Mossy, who had been extremely resilient, observant and smart died January 2nd, and I carved a special stone for her). This rough unfinished proposal piece was on a shelf in my shop, so I touched it up yesterday and inscribed it to Bessie and Tessa.

Bessie Tessa stone.jpg

Chicken cemetery ig.jpg

Back
Top Bottom