Mosquito dunks safe for horse troughs?

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
Does anyone know if the mosquito dunks that you buy to put in standing water to kill mosquito larvae are safe for using in water troughs?

In addition, are they safe for chickens? We regularly fill our chicken waterers from our rain barrels and water troughs.

For reference, here they are on Amazon.... MOSQUITO DUNKS

They are sold by livestock companies and hatcheries for waterers so they should be safe. They are also sometimes sold for small ponds with fish who are far more sensitive to such things than mammals and for bird baths.

The manufacturers advise you not to. "Do not apply directly to treated, finished drinking water reservoirs or drinking water receptacles. Do not contaminate water, food, or feed".

The stuff is supposedly irritating to some animals' digestive tracts, I know of someone who had horses colic after putting mosquito dunks in their water trough; OTOH I have heard of a bunch of other people who use them in water troughs for horses with no problems.

While they are sold by livestock-supply companies, I have not personally seen any listings by those companies that RECOMMEND them for use in DRINKING water for the livestock.

So I guess I'd say it is certainly not "instant death" but not technically recommended and sort of 'use at own risk'.

Pat

The labels are very misleading then. All the online sites selling it say "MOSQUITO DUNKS are safe for use around livestock, pets, humans, fish and other beneficial insects."

This site actually says "Use mosquito "dunks" - small, inexpensive biological mosquito control devices that can be placed in ponds or animal water troughs"
http://www.adaweb.net/WeedPestandMo...NileVirus/AreYouBreedingMosquitoesAtHome.aspx

idunno.gif

I just talked to the company about the dunks and they told me that they are safe to put in my chicken's water. They told me it was completely safe. They also said that even if a person ate a whole dunk cake, it wouldn't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom