Molting, higher protein feed suggestion?

SOME of our hens, but not all are molting right now. I have three large feeders hanging for them. Right now they are on a layer breeder pellet that is 16% protein, but I know I should increase it to at least 18 for my girls who are going through molting. Any suggestions? I usually buy my feed at southern states here in my town. Should I switch them to a specialty flock feed which is a has 21% protein, or should i add more protein such as BOSS, yogurt, eggs, etc?? I already give them (already shelled) sunflower kernels every day. if I do need to switch my feed, is it okay for all my birds to eat it, even the ones who are not in molt? Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful, helpful people. I don't know what I would do without this site, and you knowledgeable folks!

Lots of ways to do it. Sunflower kernels may be a bit high in fat.

I like to feed a flock raiser/starter/grower/finisher type feed with 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer daily. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.
Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container. I also regularly offer digestive granite grit in the appropriate size, throw it out on the ground with the scratch. http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, a bit of canned mackerel, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

I feed everyone (except babies until 5wk old) the high protein specialty flock feed from southern states and they've been doing really well. I provide oyster shell on the side so they can regulate calcium intake according to their needs.

As aart said, this way it's good for all flock members regardless of age or laying status.

You said you know you should increase protein for molt. Personally I don’t increase protein when some of them molt and mine do fine. I use a 15% protein feed year around, supplemented with oyster shell on the side. Mine forage for part of their food and get all kinds of kitchen and garden wastes, some high protein and some low protein. I also toss them extra protein from trapped animals and other things but those are random, not a steady diet. Mine are healthy, have strong immune systems, look great after they complete a molt, lay lots of nice eggs, and I have high hatch rates. Some people probably think I don’t love my chicks or I’m being cruel and abusive because I don’t feed them a high protein diet throughout the year, let alone when they molt but mine appear to do fine. It won’t hurt to increase the protein, that’s not what I’m saying. In my opinion you don’t have too.

Sunflower kernels are usually pretty high in protein but they also contain a lot of oil. That oil will make the feathers really nice and shiny. A lot of the benefit to the feathers from feeding them BOSS whether they are molting or not comes from the oil not the extra protein. It does not take a lot of oil to get that benefit though. If you are already feeding them some I’d be reluctant to increase the amount because of the oil content. I believe in moderation when I feed them, don’t overdo things.

If you want to supplement their feed with higher protein treats you certainly can. It will not hurt as long as you don’t get ridiculous about it. If you want to switch to that 21% feed with oyster shells on the side you certainly can. It will not hurt but you might want to watch just how much other high protein treats you feed them so you don’t overdo it.

I also feed an all-flock feed to everyone, with a side of oyster shell. Some treats, and free ranging on my farm. I don't want my non-layers eating layer feed, and this is so much easier! Sunflower seeds are a high fat item, make sure they get limited amounts!
I think that a good balanced base diet is easier and less expensive than a slightly less expensive base diet and lots of much pricier extras. Mary

Back
Top Bottom