Mixing paint and BBS silkie hens with black rooster?

Just Rosie

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2016
Hey guys,

So I recently decided that I want to show/breed silkies. At first, my plan was to breed BBS, like I did with my Ameraucanas. Then I met the paint silkie.

One small silkie chick with a big black spot on her butt and I’m hooked. Unfortunately, she was the only paint I bought. The rest are mostly blue, some black and a couple splash.

I’m really not interested in breeding BBS anymore, now that I’ve seen paint, but I wouldn’t mind to continue them if they can be mixed together (I only have room for one flock).

My question is, can I have a mix of blue, black, splash and paint hens and keep them together with one (or 2) black roosters? Or would that be bad for the gene pool with the split blacks and what not?

Any helpful links you have would be great. Thanks!

Paints don't breed true so if you're breeding paints you'll either be using non paints as breeders, producing non paints or both.
Basic paints are crossing dominate white with black. You can certainly use BBS the same way and the difference will be you'll be producing (black) paints, blue paints and splash paints.

The genetic of the Paint phenotype is basically a self black with heterozygous dominant white, so crossing your paint hen with a black rooster is actually desired as that will produce 50% Paints and 50% all black.. To get 100% Paint one needs to cross a completely white silkie that comes from the breeding of paint x paint(not to be confused with recessive white silkies) and cross that completely white rooster with black hens.

Back
Top Bottom