mixing bantams with large breeds?

MIChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Southeast Michigan
Can it be done? I have two 6 week old buff orpingtons and someone has offered me a few free bantams. Will the bantams get picked on because they are smaller? I am kind of clueless on this matter so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
well i dont know about anyone eles but i have 5 light brahma hens 2 ee hens 1 ee rooster 1 phoniex(sp)hen 2 bantam hens together and my littel black bantam defenetly dont take crap from any one and she is the smallest ,and i have 4 lt.brahma 5golden polish, 5 buff lace polish,5 samatren(sp)and 5silkiechicks 6wk in their littel pen with no problems there either, and i remember my grandpa had a real mix and it was not size in the few problems he had the hen had come with some others and alredy been picked. but i have no picking or any problems
thumbsup.gif

I have 5 regular-size hens, 2 regular-size roosters and 5 "teenager" pullets ---- I added 2 baby bantams (fully feathered) to the mix 3-4 days ago. So far, besides being clueless as to what to do, all is well. Sometimes the hens will peck them, but not really often -- mostly to show the heirarchy.

Gwen

i have or i had 40 some pic hens and 10 banties and they all got along fine. of course they will have a pecking order but after that they will be fine. how old are the banties. if the banties are older they might be on the top of the pecking order bc of the BO being so small.
thats just the case in my expierence but who knows.
big_smile.png

I'm not sure how old the bantys are. I should have asked more questions.
hmm.png
I honestly didn't think it would work but I have been proved wrong by you guys. I will give her a call and find out more info and then I will probably be back posting about how to intergrate them.
lol.png

Thanks peeps!

I have all my birds mixed together and I have bantam Cochins, Silkies, one Sebright, an OEGB, a Silkie cross, and a Mille Fleur, and they are in with my Amber Sexlinks, and my SLW's. What's funny is that my Sebright cockerel finds them Wyandotte girls might attractive and chases away my Wyandotte cockerel so he can get closer to the ladies. My Wyandotte boy, even though he's bigger, is a sissy and lets the Sebright push him around. Everyone gets along fine so far.

I have 3 standard sized hens,2 standard 3 month old pullets, 2 bantam cochins, one silkie and 2 serama all in one large run, with 2 coops. I did have trouble in the begining from my Barred Rock hen. I isolated her for a few days and knocked her down the pecking order. Now all is well. Make sure you have lots of get away spots for them to run under or into, if need be, from any bullying. Keep a close eye for a few days... seperate with chicken wire for a few days, if possible, where they can be near each other, but not touch each other. My Serama cockerel is now courting several of the big girls, lol. Now that is funny!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom