Mixed flock, what to feed?

My girls have been laying for almost a month (mostly) I’ve had them on Broiler rations as it’s the only pellet available aside from layer in my area. It’s a little high in fat and 19% protein, with OS on the side. I was away for 5 days and my husband didn’t remember the OS. I’ve had a few very thin shelled/ almost non shelled eggs. I’m now mixing the layer and Broiler as a temporary fix (I hope).

My girls treat the OS like candy though, and some of my eggs now have little bumps... they have gone through almost 1C/day for the last 4 days! For 10 pullets. I don’t want to over calcify my Roo, but want to make sure my girls have their needs met, it’s a challenge.

My girls have been laying for almost a month (mostly) I’ve had them on Broiler rations as it’s the only pellet available aside from layer in my area. It’s a little high in fat and 19% protein, with OS on the side. I was away for 5 days and my husband didn’t remember the OS. I’ve had a few very thin shelled/ almost non shelled eggs. I’m now mixing the layer and Broiler as a temporary fix (I hope).

My girls treat the OS like candy though, and some of my eggs now have little bumps... they have gone through almost 1C/day for the last 4 days! For 10 pullets. I don’t want to over calcify my Roo, but want to make sure my girls have their needs met, it’s a challenge.
I have a girl who is still growing (a Brahma, of course) and I have often wondered about the protein. The layer I have been feeding is only 16%. I will transition to either all flock or back to starter. I haven't had any issues with feather eating or anything, but that Brahma sure eats a lot. I wonder ifmore protein would sate her a bit more and help her on her way to achieve giantness. Good to know there are options. I'd be worried about the broiler's fat content, but I prefer the higher protein it affords. I would think mixing the two would solve that. Hmm. Much to consider....

So, I got another shell less thing this morning... I’m a little worried, but all the other eggs are pretty normal. It wasn’t a lash egg. I wish I could figure out who is doing them, but they are laying really early or overnight.

AB5D150C-DC63-4FBF-A6DC-8CD089401AC1.jpeg 09C4F132-8B63-4793-ACE8-D309B7C5A5EF.jpeg 9B275685-DB0B-4EFC-B818-87FF1D97BF47.jpeg

I don’t want to damage my Roo, but I also don’t want to be seeing this! I’m hoping it’s a young layer thing... I’m going to post another thread looking for help on this, but thought I would share these pics here too as it’s relevant to the discussion

Back
Top Bottom