sarahb2000

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
New chick owner here, we have 4 mixed chicks that are almost 5 weeks old and are starting to worry about having a rooster due to neighbours etc.

Long story short, we got given an egg at a carnival and ended up incubating it and out hatched Jazzi!! We THINK she is a salmon Faverolle? And if so are hoping she is a pullet but really aren’t sure: C3CA4C52-AE85-4083-9BA0-F9820DA7E1D3.jpeg
Next is Chicko who we know is a black copper Maran but we are worried could be a rooster due to the size of the comb: 87F8C36B-668D-40BB-A87A-9A47D2BFC014.jpeg
The last two are both buff Sussex, Nando and Peri which we think are pullets but are also unsure: 2EF1998A-8374-44ED-BF2A-F098AA38ED78.jpeg 52BBB4E2-81AD-4169-9079-036E6D4964B0.jpeg

Hope the photos help!! Thank you x

I say this to every person who can't have a rooster in their neighborhood but want chickens, only get sexlinked or autosexed chick's. 99% guarantee sexing. Good luck!
If you get your chucks from RK or TSC. How do you know for sure they are autosexed or sexlink? The people at those store where I live have no clue what they are doing. I asked if the six I bought were pullet and they said yes. 2 of the 6 were roos and we are questioning a couple of the other ones we have. We had to get rid of the roos and I am hoping we don't have to remove anymore. We can't have roos.

If you get your chucks from RK or TSC. How do you know for sure they are autosexed or sexlink? The people at those store where I live have no clue what they are doing. I asked if the six I bought were pullet and they said yes. 2 of the 6 were roos and we are questioning a couple of the other ones we have. We had to get rid of the roos and I am hoping we don't have to remove anymore. We can't have roos.
I started with 2 red sexlinks and 2 black sexlinks. They are obvious pullets by the color when hatched. There are other ones available. I would do some research so it will prepare you when you pick them out. Of course they will tell you they are pullets. That's what they ordered, but the mix up came from the hatchery they ordered from. Sorry you got roosters but sometimes it can be avoided by choosing full proof chickens. My second flock I took a stab at other breeds because I had a friend who would take any roosters I may get but fortunately I got all pullets. Flock 3, the same outcome and my last flock is an autosexing breed which is full proof. Believe me, I did a lot of research and had a back up plan in place

I started with 2 red sexlinks and 2 black sexlinks. They are obvious pullets by the color when hatched. There are other ones available. I would do some research so it will prepare you when you pick them out. Of course they will tell you they are pullets. That's what they ordered, but the mix up came from the hatchery they ordered from. Sorry you got roosters but sometimes it can be avoided by choosing full proof chickens. My second flock I took a stab at other breeds because I had a friend who would take any roosters I may get but fortunately I got all pullets. Flock 3, the same outcome and my last flock is an autosexing breed which is full proof. Believe me, I did a lot of research and had a back up plan in place

Thank you, I have been looking trying to figure out. I read that golden comets and leghorns the females are darker. Is that true. I also read that black sexlink the males have white on heads and females dont.

Thank you, I have been looking trying to figure out. I read that golden comets and leghorns the females are darker. Is that true. I also read that black sexlink the males have white on heads and females dont.
With the red sexlinks the red are female, the white are male. I think your correct about the black sexlinks. It's funny, I have a fear of white chicks. I always think they are all male. Lol

With the red sexlinks the red are female, the white are male. I think your correct about the black sexlinks. It's funny, I have a fear of white chicks. I always think they are all male. Lol
Lol, hey I am starting to get that way. I know we are planning on getting somemore and I'm afraid we'll get males have rehome them. But thanks I hope our local feed store will get red sexlinks.

Lol, hey I am starting to get that way. I know we are planning on getting somemore and I'm afraid we'll get males have rehome them. But thanks I hope our local feed store will get red sexlinks.
If you want nice birds who lay lots of eggs, then red sexlinks are the way to go. They don't have a long lifespan. My oldest one is 6 years old and is still laying.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_141051008.jpg
    PXL_20220714_141051008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom