Mixed Breed Flocks

Happily Retired

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Texas Hill Country
When I was considering starting a flock I chose one breed that most matched my climate, needs and expectations and have just the one breed for my flock. I have noticed here and on YouTube videos that it appears the majority of the flocks (excluding commercial operations) are mixed breeds. Two of this breed, a few of that breed and so on. That now has me wondering if there are some advantages to having mixed breeds over a single breed. I would like to hear from the mixed breed owners why they chose to have a mixture.

When I was considering starting a flock I chose one breed that most matched my climate, needs and expectations and have just the one breed for my flock. I have noticed here and on YouTube videos that it appears the majority of the flocks (excluding commercial operations) are mixed breeds. Two of this breed, a few of that breed and so on. That now has me wondering if there are some advantages to having mixed breeds over a single breed. I would like to hear from the mixed breed owners why they chose to have a mixture.

I like the variety of appearances in my mixed flock and I like the variety of egg colors even though I don't have any fancy "eggers" yet -- the OE's I hatched are still babies.

I'm planning to go to mostly purebred Blue/Black/Splash Australorps plus a silver-laced-australorpish project, but I will still probably have a handful of variety birds just for added interest.

They're primarily livestock, but we also like looking at them and when we can find a market for the eggs we know that a multi-colored egg carton sells better than plain brown or plain white.

I have two breeds. I picked the Black Australorps because they met my criteria:

• color that does not draw the eye of people
  • standard feathering (no: silky, frizzle, tophat, muffs, beards, legs, naked neck, etc)
  • Moderate or smaller comb (to tolerate a three-sided coop in a cold climate)
  • Neither super producer of eggs nor seasonal egg layer
  • Lays medium or larger eggs (so no banties)
  • Best chance of being as quiet as possible - both vocally and tolerating confinement.
My first choice was Black Java but I found only one place that offered them and they had minimum order of 25 and did not allow picking them up. The cost of the extra chicks and shipping was about a hundred dollars. So I went with my second choice.

I picked the Brown Leghorns because I thought I might enjoy the flightier personality more but did not want to get only leghorns in case they (or their combs) did not do well in the open air coop or do well with the confinement of my smaller-than-I-would-like set up.

Advantages. The difference in temperament was good for both when they were very young. The leghorn chicks were crazy active and reactive compared to the australorps. They immediately found the food and the water, explored the wool hen, and so on... I'm sure the australorps ate and drank sooner because of that. On the other hand, the australorps were calm enough to temper the leghorns reactiveness... staying to eat and drink longer or returning to it sooner when it was replaced. That sort of thing.

I have half a mind that the differences are a disadvantage now that they are over a year old.

For what it is worth, no combs on either breed were damaged through the winter. The confinement is pretty hard on Spice but not Nutmeg (the two leghorns I kept). And I found I enjoy both types of personalities.

Eleven calm to three excitable was a good ratio for me as a newbie to chickens who came with a lot of caregiving experience.

Next time, if I live in the same place, I will get all Black Australorps unless Black Java become more available. If I move to a much warmer climate and have more space for a run then I may get all Black Leghorns.

I have had chickens for years. And at different times, I have thought, I think I like this breed, and I could go to a pure bred flock of those...but turns out, there always seems to be something, that I don't quite like as well as I have thought. I like a mixed bunch, they have different personalities, and they are easier to count at night, to make sure you have them all.

I find that any chicken, even crossbred mutts lay eggs. And most of them lay more than enough eggs for my needs if they are young enough.

So I keep a flock, but the birds come in and out of it, and are of different kinds. I have kind of flirted with the idea of having white egg layers, add brown egg layer, add green egg layers on a three year rotation. Then you could tell for sure when the older birds started to slow in laying. But really I don't follow through. I tend to get birds as they show up or I get a chance to get them.

I have 4 mutt chickens and roosters, and a dozen 2 month old assorted leghorns (so they look different) and a 7 week old chicks all mutts, but 3 are prairie blue bells and 2 are green saphires - so they will look different too.

By fall I will have an assorted colored eggs, just for me and mine - I don't sell eggs. And by fall, I will have to sell some of these birds before the short days of winter.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom