Miss Frizzle the rescued cochin frizzle hen - a survival story! (warning! one possibly distressing p

Rikkipedia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Portland, OR
I got Miss Frizzle from a friend from high school.

My friend had 12 chickens and 3 ducks. One day the ducks pulled all Miss Frizzles back feathers out and dragged her around the yard.

This is her a couple days after it happend:

My friend kept Miss Frizzle in the house for about a month before I visited her. She asked if I wanted to take Miss Frizzle home with me because she was worried about putting her back in with the ducks. I had really wanted a frizzle, so I said yes. I brought her home where she was either in a large cage (for when I wasn't around) or cardboard box in my room. When I would be in my room I'd let her out and she'd hangout next to my bed. This is what she looked like right after I brought her home:

We're hanging out in my bedroom while I'm on the computer.

About a week later she'd feathered out a lot more. I'd asked a chicken breeder I know about food to give Miss Frizzle to help stimulate feather growth. She said I could make some different teas made of cider vinegar, horsetail, sage and stinging nettles[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif] and feeding her some egg would also help.[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]This is Miss Frizzle after another week:[/FONT]

You can kind of tell that the feathers on her head have grown in considerably.

About a week later I had to put her outside with the rest of my chickens. My housemates (I live with 4 other people) were understanding about having her inside, but more than a month became a bit much for them.
I also wanted to put her outside before it got too cold so she wouldn't have to hard a time adjusting the the weather. For a while I was leaving her outside during the day, to make sure the other chickens would incorporate her into the flock, and then bringing her in at night. About a week after I started doing that, I left her out in the coop with the rest of the chickens and she was fine.

Well, I got her at the beginning of November and it is now mid January! She's all feathered out and doing very well.

Poor thing! I'm glad you took her, and are now taking care of her. Our neighbors have a hen named Mrs. Frizzle, too. XD, I guess it's not too unique, is it?

She is so beautiful!! I'm glad you get to have her! How does she do with the other chickens?

The friend I got her from named her. I usually call her either "little thing" or "miss thing". But yeah, I'm sure it's widely used.

As for getting along with the other chickens, she does fine. She gets picked on a little bit usually when there's treats around, but not as much recently. She usually goes and hides under another chicken or runs off a ways and then comes back.

I would like to get another bantum so she's not the only tiny one in the group.

Last edited:
She cleaned up real well!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom