Miniature donkeys and goats

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
Can they live together? My dear dh who told me last week I could have no more animals asked me today if I'd like to have a couple of miniature donkeys.

It depends on the donkey, some donkeys will be very agressive towards goats and try to kill them and if they aren't separated fast they usually succeed. Mostly this applies to jack donkeys and gelded ones. I think the jennies are ok, I would at least start with a young one/baby so that it grows up with the goats and thinks of them as her herd.

I have no personal experience with donkeys but I, too, have heard many stories of donkeys injuring or killing goats.

If they grew up together from babyhood, I think it would be much better.

I have heard the jennies are less aggressive. One of my friends had a jack and a gelding, they were both mean as heck to the other animals.

I've posted on this before. I don't risk putting any other species (apart from ducks and chickens) in with my goats. I have a mini horse who lived with them from 6 mos of age to about 10 mos, when he started using them as soccer balls, endangering my kids.

I have a mini donk jack now, and am finding him to be very animal aggressive. Just now ready to come out of quarantine, I introduced him to my mini gelding two days ago through a fence. He obviously wanted to fight...so he remains alone until we can get him another donkey friend. Same donkey loves our dogs, though. Go figure. They literally cuddle.

They call them guard donkey's for a reason!
wink.png

Maybe run with Jenny's, but not with Jacks, they like to play and will kill them in a short time and not meaning too. I have an aggressive Jenny and my Jack loves to play and gets carried away!

I have a 4 year old Nubian doe goat, and when her sister passed away of unknown causes last July she freaked! Miniature donkeys are so cute & I was thinking that maybe I could get a miniature donkey for her to be friends with. I was wondering how well they cope with one another. My dad is looking at 2 older jennies, or maybe a gelding. I heard that the geldings can be just as aggressive as the jacks. Can somebody give me some advice?

I had a mini Jenny and her baby jack with my goats and whenever he got to about 10 months old he started getting aggressive and then almost killed one of them. She helped. I got rid of them the next day. I wouldn't trust them together. Possibly a Jenny but not a jack.

Back
Top Bottom