Middle toe

Baewing12

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
Hi all!

I have a chick that was born last night. The chick is alert and chirping away but the middle toe is hanging off and it’s bleeding. Not profusely but a bit. Should I remove the toe? And bandage it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you!

Although I'm not quite an expert, here's what I'd do:
- Use pressure to stop the bleeding. Alcohol is also another option, but if it's a deep wound, it shouldn't be used.
- You do not need to cut the toe unless it's injured and really infected.
- I heard that Neosporin is also another option as long as it doesn't have any painkiller in it.
Like I said, I'm not an expert. We've had issues with blood on the toe, but it's not similar to your situation. I've only ever dealt with Bumblefoot, but never with a toe hanging off.

I have a the chick in a splint/bandage and will take a picture when I change it. I have no idea how this happened. She’s a bit of a crazy chick. This batch has been a really difficult one for us. 🥴

So the toe dangles but can be held straight if that makes sense. She’s getting around ok. I can’t see bone or anything. It’s clotted so no longer bleeding. She’s walking around and being a crazy chick. Again, any advice would be so helpful 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom