Mice or Mouse eating eggs

WILIFORD

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
Southern San Joaquin Valley California
I had suspected my one of my hens was eating my eggs and I started isolating my hens to determine which one was responsible. Long story short. I visually spotted mice eating my eggs. I found a very effective way to catch the mice, without harming hens and I caught them (3) within 24 hours. Here is how. I built a wooden frame out of 3/4" material that would cover the opening of one of my nesting boxes. I then staple a screen to the wood frame except I left the bottom 2 inches open. this way the mice could get into the nest box, but the hens could not. I then placed one of the glue traps for rats (not mice) in this nest box. You can buy a package of 2 of these traps at your big box store for less than $5 and they are non-toxic, so they will not harm your hens if they should some how gain access to them. Then I pecked a hole in an egg and sat it in the center of the glue trap as bait. My first catch was within 2 hours. I used pliers to remove the inmate from the glue while holding the glue pad down with a stick, and left the trap and egg in place. You don't want to get your fingers in this stuff, its kind of like gum in the drier. I then imposed sentencing on the inmate. It goes without saying, but do not handle these little vermin as they carry some nasty diseases. I hope this helps

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom