Membrane movement before internal pip - how long

Well, I have 4 indoor ducks already. 3 are "free range", 1 is disabled and doesn't walk. 😁 3 babies shouldn't be too bad compared to what we've had in the past. I'm just not sure how to safely acclimate them to the cold once they get their grown up feathers. Maybe I can make room in the garage once they're bigger. The garage doesn't get quite as cold as the coops and we have power in the garage if they need heat still.

I have 3 week old chicks out in the barn right now and it's gotten down to 34F already here. I use Premier 1's brooder plate and they're as lively as can be. Most of the time when I go out they're not even under the plate and it's been 40's-50's during the day. I adjust it so the front legs sit higher then the back so they can choose the amount of heat they need on their own. Here's a picture of my setup. The only reason the heat lamp was on in the picture was that I forgot to turn the brooder plate on before I jumped in the car to pick up the chicks at the post office. The heat lamp got turned off as soon as the brooder plate heated up fully.
PXL_20211006_133214792.jpg

@Miss Lydia Thanks! Any ideas on what would have caused Webster to turn the wrong direction after he pipped externally? Is that a malposition issue? I wish I could remember where his beak ended up in relation to the pipped hole.
I've never had baby chicks or ducklings this late in the year. When I hatched some last time, and any I've bought, have been in late spring or summer so it's practically warm enough for them to go outside immediately. I'm not sure how long these will have to stay inside before going out. By the time they get their grown-up feathers it's going to be December! Fingers crossed we have a VERY mild winter!! 😂
Yeah..idk. they just do that sometimes. Maybe malposition, maybe they just get wiggled around to a spot they can't move 🤷‍♀️
I have noticed most of the time when my ducks hatch on their own they do not hatch from the original pip hole, they usually do turn before zipping. Sometimes I guess they just turn too far.

For ducklings yes that's normal. Usually I see it for anywhere from 4-6 days before an internal pip. I've noticed the more they seem to move against the membrane those eggs tend to go from internal to external pip the fastest. Do you have pictures of the candled eggs? From the sounds of it I would guess you may have ducklings by the end of the weekend.
Hi there, I have a question. I'm currently incubating some duck eggs. And I was wondering if I should still be turning them once. They have started getting through the membrane? They haven't completely internally picked yet, but you can definitely see them breaking down. Or pushing up against the wall. Can't hear anything or see an actual beak or packing but didn't want to turn them if I could cause then damage. Or death any information would be greatly appreciated

Hi there, I have a question. I'm currently incubating some duck eggs. And I was wondering if I should still be turning them once. They have started getting through the membrane? They haven't completely internally picked yet, but you can definitely see them breaking down. Or pushing up against the wall. Can't hear anything or see an actual beak or packing but didn't want to turn them if I could cause then damage. Or death any information would be greatly appreciated
I can't remember the exact day you're supposed to stop turning them, that "lockdown" phase of incubating but from what I remember it seems like once they start pushing on the internal membrane turning can probably be stopped. I think turning is mostly about making sure they don't get stuck on one side of the egg and to make sure the egg is getting heated evenly (for lack of better terminology). Kind of like when you're cooking something in the microwave and take it out to stir it. Terrible analogy I know.

Once they're in position to start pressing on the internal membrane, working on the internal pip, I think continuing to turn them can confuse them maybe. Does that make sense?

I can't remember the exact day you're supposed to stop turning them, that "lockdown" phase of incubating but from what I remember it seems like once they start pushing on the internal membrane turning can probably be stopped. I think turning is mostly about making sure they don't get stuck on one side of the egg and to make sure the egg is getting heated evenly (for lack of better terminology). Kind of like when you're cooking something in the microwave and take it out to stir it. Terrible analogy I know.

Once they're in position to start pressing on the internal membrane, working on the internal pip, I think continuing to turn them can confuse them maybe. Does that make sense?
Sure. They usually say 48 hrs before hatching to stop. But, I have done earlier and later without any problems.

I think I saw a post about this subject from several years ago but didn't see an answer to the question. Does anyone know how long you'll see a duckling pressing against their membrane before actually breaking through for that internal pip? I've hatched a lot of eggs in the incubator so I know the actual hatch time can be several days from internal pip. I've never seen them moving their membrane for days before the internal pip. Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure how old the eggs are because we ended up with them by accident. I've had them in the incubator since 10/5 though and guessed they looked like they were about 12-14 days developed then. (From our ducks, not taken from a wild nest or anything silly like that.) There are 4 eggs, they're not Muscovy, and all look very full so it makes sense that they're close to hatching time. One has been wiggling his membrane at the air cell for 5 days now, the others started 4 days ago. I'm a bit concerned that something might be wrong with the membrane. Too tough or something. I've assisted with many a hatch so I feel ok doing that if it's time, I'm just not sure how to know if it's time. Their movement in the air cell has been much slower/less today than when I looked 2 days ago.
I guess I'm trying to figure out if 4-5 days of trying to get through the membrane into the air cell is normal or if they might need help. Any ideas?
I think I saw a post about this subject from several years ago but didn't see an answer to the question. Does anyone know how long you'll see a duckling pressing against their membrane before actually breaking through for that internal pip? I've hatched a lot of eggs in the incubator so I know the actual hatch time can be several days from internal pip. I've never seen them moving their membrane for days before the internal pip. Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure how old the eggs are because we ended up with them by accident. I've had them in the incubator since 10/5 though and guessed they looked like they were about 12-14 days developed then. (From our ducks, not taken from a wild nest or anything silly like that.) There are 4 eggs, they're not Muscovy, and all look very full so it makes sense that they're close to hatching time. One has been wiggling his membrane at the air cell for 5 days now, the others started 4 days ago. I'm a bit concerned that something might be wrong with the membrane. Too tough or something. I've assisted with many a hatch so I feel ok doing that if it's time, I'm just not sure how to know if it's time. Their movement in the air cell has been much slower/less today than when I looked 2 days ago.
I guess I'm trying to figure out if 4-5 days of trying to get through the membrane into the air cell is normal or if they might need help. Any ideas?
How do you assist a duckling with inner pip? I’ve had one die full term that never inner pipped and I’m wondering if I could have helped. He was one or two days behind the others. Now I have two that are behind the others, not inner pipped yet. It’s been 12-16 hours since Their siblings pipped and I’m wondering if I should help so the same thing doesn’t happen. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom