Meat bird deaths

BellaM

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Gauteng, South Africa
Hi everyone,

Feedback please ...

It's the 5th time I'm raising meat birds from day old and I've always experienced "unexplained" deaths i.e I'll just find a dead bird in the shed.

I buy from a reputable supplier, I use quality feed (starter, grower and finisher). I use shavings (deep litter method), putting down a fresh layer twice a day. I also give them fresh water twice a day. I raise one batch a year.

I add a splash of apple cider vinegar and a dash of spices (cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne pepper) to every 3rd or 4th bucket.

The birds appear to be healthy - active and bright eyed, no diarrhoea (occasionally there'll be one or two slightly runny poos but nothing consistent). It's also definitely not overcrowding.

Regarding the dead birds, they don't have dirty bums and there's no indication of illness prior to death. I haven't opened them up though.

I've asked around and the general consensus is heart failure BUT my sister-in-law shared a batch with me and hasn't had any deaths (at 5 weeks) and I've had 4.

What am I doing wrong?

It is always good to get a necropsy by a vet lab, or do one yourself on the dead birds, in case coccidiosis might be a problem. Can you get amprollium or Coxoid there? Sorry for your losses. Here are some pictures of the intestines with coccidiosis in young chickens:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/206/coccidiosis
Yes we get both here, although I'm almost 100% certain that it's not coccidiosis because there's no evidence of bloody poop.

But I'll eliminate all possibilities because I'm really tired of loosing birds.

I'm actually not a fan of the broiler industry and would ideally like to find an alternative but so we really like tender chicken and I haven't found another meat bird that isn't tough in comparison. Maybe it's time to stop being fussy! 😅

Back
Top Bottom