Mealworm farming

Quote:
Because they free range and they have all the bugs they can find. I do use the mealworms if I need them back to the coop before they're ready. They come running when they think worms are being offered
lol.png

I'm doing this because I feel bad that they don't have bugs in the winter with all the snow and freezing temps..... they LOVE bugs (even stink bugs)... and cucumbers, and kale, and lettuce, and cheese, and yogurt, and melon, and celery leaves, and pumpkin inners.......

I would put some on craigslist..like 2000 for $10..I bet you would sell them!

I had a simple set up in a plastic shoe box to raise mealies for my sugar gliders. They loved them! I might have to try doing this again on a larger scale in the near future. It really isn't a lot of work and a small investment when you consider the return because they do loved to reproduce fast.

Newb here. Pictures would be great of your setup. I only feed my chickens scratch and after doing some research on here feel guilty about not giving them much else. Ill dig up worms with my daughter now and then and they love them. But raising mealworms sounds interesting.

Quote:
Welcome luvmesomechicks!
welcome-byc.gif
I live near the woods and have a lot of firewood. Several of my big firewood logs have began to rot, so I knocked them apart and got me almost a quart of meal worms, huge grubs, and other critters (like termites) as treats for my chickens. They didn't know what to do with those huge grubs (except chase each other around trying to take steal it from each other), but when I held the grub tightly by the head they would peck at it and tear it up. As soon as they got a taste of those juices...it seriously became a feeding frenzy! I haven't seen them go this nuts over anything offered before...it can be time consuming trying to find the grubs, but it sure is worth the effort.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Because they free range and they have all the bugs they can find. I do use the mealworms if I need them back to the coop before they're ready. They come running when they think worms are being offered
lol.png

I'm doing this because I feel bad that they don't have bugs in the winter with all the snow and freezing temps..... they LOVE bugs (even stink bugs)... and cucumbers, and kale, and lettuce, and cheese, and yogurt, and melon, and celery leaves, and pumpkin inners.......

I would put some on craigslist..like 2000 for $10..I bet you would sell them!

I would totally buy them!!!!!

Ahhh....cockroaches....yum. I read up on those also. The kind that is recommended does not move very fast and needs very warm temps to live. I'd like to try them but they "peak my gross-out meter"!
gig.gif

Some people look at me like I'm crazy until I explain that there is an "eek" factor to overcome. Now, I'm totally fascinated by the mealworms.

Great news today!!
ya.gif
My colony is now proudly hosting 3 beetles!!! YEY! A couple more weeks and there should be eggs, which lead to tiny worms, that lead to yummy worms, that lead to more beetles.

I will post picks later today. There are examples of mealworm farms on youtube .. so many ways to raise them. There's no question in my mind that I'll have tens of thousands by winter. Love my chickens!
D.gif

I bought mine local..and I am not sure why becuase I know better to do anything before checking the net..there is a guy on ebay who sells 2000 for $13.00

I just have mine in a plastic bin right now..when I find a drawer system at a garage sale..I will switch.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I think a lot of us BYC folks would be classified as a little nuts by others who can't understand the joy of raising chickens.
hide.gif

@ Hannakat -- Refresh my memory on Beaver County, PA. I'm originally from Columbia County (Bloomsburg, PA). Went into the Air Force, and ended up after 25 years retiring down here outside the base I last worked on (Shaw AFB). I miss PA. My folks still live up there...so usually get there at least once a year.
wink.png

Quote:
I googled it and Bloomsburg is nearer the eastern part of the state. We are on the western border, northwest of Pittsburgh...very close to Ohio. It's cool how people end up migrating to other places. I'm envious!

ps... my nephew just graduated from Lockland Air Force base and is starting tech school. He's really flourished!

Quote:
I googled it and Bloomsburg is nearer the eastern part of the state. We are on the western border, northwest of Pittsburgh...very close to Ohio. It's cool how people end up migrating to other places. I'm envious!

ps... my nephew just graduated from Lockland Air Force base and is starting tech school. He's really flourished!

Thank him for his service for me...I graduated from Lackland AFB back in 1984! I don't regret a minute of my 25 years, and multiple deployments into combat zones never changed that either!

Back
Top Bottom