May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Well, guess I'll be joining this one too! I'm collecting duck eggs, as well as eggs from my chickens (Cochin banties, EEs and BYM, plus some pure OEGB).

I got a Muscovy egg today, but I'm thinking I might put it aside for now and place it back in the nest later when a few more are in and it stops going below freezing at night.

Knowing me, I'll probably get some more eggs from a local breeder again, too, lol! I want to have about 100 chickens in the freezer this fall. I figure if I can manage 25/month it will make things a heck of a lot more manageable.

well I wasn't expecting to be on this one too.... but here I am. haahaa!

I had a bit of a mix up with some of my shipped eggs (should have been Lav Orps and they hatched black.....) so the breeder asked if I would be willing to hatch out eggs from each girl in that pen to check and see if there is a hidden split lav in there that shouldn't be. So she watched and collected each egg laid and marked who laid it and what they are. Think her incubators are full plus she hatches so many and knows I watch so can see who hatches from what egg. So of course HOW could I say no. So the eggs should be arriving tomorrow. 2 splash Lav orps, 2 mottled lav oprs and 3 lav orps!

Plus the guy I am hatching for asked if I would be willing to try ducks for him, he isn't sure if fertilized or no and his female has been sitting on the nest for a few days but he is going to pull some I guess and give them to me to put in the incubator. So guess we see how that goes.

May throw in a few of mine depending on how many eggs I am setting between the duck and orps. :)

Think I will set them on Thurs for a May 4th hatch date.

May is going to be a fun hatching month here! I’ve been wanting to hatch some duck for a long time and I finally took the plunge and got some eggs😀

Do you all wash your duck eggs to hatch or just leave the mud on? Also who all does misting or other duck specific things?

A6BC27C0-5ECE-401D-B15C-00EBD2495D38.jpeg

Besides the ducks which I’ll set tomorrow I’ll be setting some quail eggs and a tray of eggs from my flock. Some will stay here but mostly all spoken for. I seem to especially have people wanting naked necks. If that keeps up I may separate them out into their own pen so I can hatch more of their eggs as it is it’s luck of the draw because I have a bunch of brown egg layers so I can’t tell who I’m hatching from.

Also have someone wanting me to hatch them some marans (from their flock) so that will be fun. I’ll have to decide if I want to put these in the cabinet or in a smaller incubator where I could run lower humidity. I suppose it’ll depend on how many he brings.

well I wasn't expecting to be on this one too.... but here I am. haahaa!

I had a bit of a mix up with some of my shipped eggs (should have been Lav Orps and they hatched black.....) so the breeder asked if I would be willing to hatch out eggs from each girl in that pen to check and see if there is a hidden split lav in there that shouldn't be. So she watched and collected each egg laid and marked who laid it and what they are. Think her incubators are full plus she hatches so many and knows I watch so can see who hatches from what egg. So of course HOW could I say no. So the eggs should be arriving tomorrow. 2 splash Lav orps, 2 mottled lav oprs and 3 lav orps!

Plus the guy I am hatching for asked if I would be willing to try ducks for him, he isn't sure if fertilized or no and his female has been sitting on the nest for a few days but he is going to pull some I guess and give them to me to put in the incubator. So guess we see how that goes.

May throw in a few of mine depending on how many eggs I am setting between the duck and orps. :)

Think I will set them on Thurs for a May 4th hatch date.
You are hatching a lot for not expecting to be here 😂 Can’t talk though… I was planning on taking the year off so I could focus on school 😂😂😂 that didn’t work.

Back
Top Bottom