Feather1023

Hatching
May 26, 2021
Hello there! I live in Markham, and started raising chickens in our backyard around 8 months ago. However, it seems that one of our neighbours complained - a city official just contacted us and told us we have to "get rid" of our chicken within 30 days. The children really love the chickens, and in a way they have become part of our family. We really don't want to give them up, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Here is the exact wording of the bylaw:
No person shall keep livestock in any area of the City unless the area is zoned for that purpose. (“Livestock” - means any domestic fowl (including chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, guinea fowl, etc.), domestic rabbits (when more than 3 rabbits are kept) horses, donkeys, mules, bulls, oxen, cows or other cattle, goats, pigs, sheep,
llamas, mink, emus or ostriches;)

Does anyone have experience as to what to do? Is there anyway to do something like apply to have your area "zoned" for chickens? (within 30 days?)

Any help is greatly appreciated ❤️

That pretty well spells it out. Your only real option is to change the bylaws. I went through that.
Where is Markham?
Markham is in Ontario Canada

I thought about trying to change the bylaws, but first of all I'm not sure if anyone else cares about this enough to help support it. Second with COVID most councillors probably aren't going to work normally so I don't know if they're going to take much time with this. And lastly even if we manage to change the bylaws it would probably take more than 30 days...

Should I still try to change the bylaws? And if so, how?

A variance (that is, an exception for you) is more likely than a zoning change, particularly in the near term. Obtaining a variance in less than 30 days would be unusually prompt in any city of US county I've ever lived in - and tends to be much more difficult after you've been cited for violating the ordinance.

Sort of like telling the judge the speed limit should be changed after you've been ticketed for... speeding.

A variance (that is, an exception for you) is more likely than a zoning change, particularly in the near term. Obtaining a variance in less than 30 days would be unusually prompt in any city of US county I've ever lived in - and tends to be much more difficult after you've been cited for violating the ordinance.

Sort of like telling the judge the speed limit should be changed after you've been ticketed for... speeding.
How can I try to apply for a variance?

Back
Top Bottom