Mareks or Vitamin B for this paralyzed bird? How Can I tell?

JerryC999

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2016
Kentucky
This five month old Easter egger quite suddenly started walking on her hocks, with her left foot curled under. Overnight. She got around that way for a few days, but then her leg went straight out stiff, and she cannot walk at all. I have separated her from the flock, but now I do not know what to do. The flock has had Purina pellet food, dried worms, scratch and table scraps, but I do not know this one bird's choices. She is not lethargic and has a good appetite.

This presents classically like Marek's disease from what I read, but also like B2 deficiency. Next steps? Some say euthanize. Others work for a cure.

chickenmareksdisease.jpg

Here we would cull. Otherwise you can try a week or two with some oral vitamins and see if it helps. I would isolate the bird. If it's Mareks than it's currently shedding the virus. That's the main reason we choose culling here. To minimize the risks.

It all depends on your husbandry and goals with chickens. Are they livestock or pets to you.

This five month old Easter egger quite suddenly started walking on her hocks, with her left foot curled under. Overnight. She got around that way for a few days, but then her leg went straight out stiff, and she cannot walk at all. I have separated her from the flock, but now I do not know what to do. The flock has had Purina pellet food, dried worms, scratch and table scraps, but I do not know this one bird's choices. She is not lethargic and has a good appetite.

This presents classically like Marek's disease from what I read, but also like B2 deficiency. Next steps? Some say euthanize. Others work for a cure.

View attachment 2333962
Poor thing 😪

Here we would cull. Otherwise you can try a week or two with some oral vitamins and see if it helps. I would isolate the bird. If it's Mareks than it's currently shedding the virus. That's the main reason we choose culling here. To minimize the risks.

It all depends on your husbandry and goals with chickens. Are they livestock or pets to you.
More pet than anything. Eggs for breakfast. Small flock of 8-10 at a time.

I too brake for squirrels. It seems I feed them also, with chicken scratch.

I would start some human B complex or a chicken vitamin that has riboflavin (B2) listed on the label. Crush 1/4 to 1/2 tablet into some egg or food, or a little water. Poultry NutriDrench does not have any riboflavin, but others may. Unfortunately with the age and description of symptoms, it may well be Mareks. There are 2 ways to test for it. One is a blood serum pcr test on a live bird for $20 here:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

The second would be a necropsy by your state poultry vet where testing can be ordered if the necropsy looks like Mareks. KY is a little harder to deal with for necropsies, so I would contact them to discuss testing or necropsy costs. The body should be kept cold not frozen and sent to the state vet asap on M-F.

More pet than anything. Eggs for breakfast. Small flock of 8-10 at a time.

I too brake for squirrels. It seems I feed them also, with chicken scratch.
Than try the vitamins. Give it 1-2 weeks. If you don't see an improvement than assume it's Mareks. You can also make it a sling to sit in to get it off the ground for some of the day.

Back
Top Bottom