Marek’s Test

Highly, Highly reccomend vetdna.com
(972) 960-2221 M-F 9-5 central time Sat 9-1

I called and they were so helpful. Didn’t make me feel stupid for asking questions or wanting tests done.
They actually do testing for most state labs anyway.

So for the Marek’s test I need a few drops of blood on a piece of paper. Send it in a Ziplock with a form I print out. That’s it. That easy. No overnight shipping required. Turn around is same day they get the sample.

He also said it’s a better test then a necropsy. The necropsy looks for tumors. But that doesn’t mean the tumors are caused by Marek’s. The blood test is 99.9% accurate and vaccinated birds are not a false positive.

AND if it’s not Marek’s and I want to test for something else I just ask (and pay) and they can use the same sample.
Did I mention it’s $20.

Nunny have you sen this thread yet?
I believe she used the exact same lab.
:( Post #1 of 25
The guy I talked to today said that when doing a necropsy the look for the tumors. But not all tumors are caused by Marek’s.
He also told me of a recent case they received from AZ. The chicken had died and was sent in for necropsy. The state lab saw tumors and said Marek’s. The chicken owner wanted to confirm so asked them to do a blood test. The AZ ag department sent the blood sample to RAL and it was negative for Marek’s. So then the owner asked it be tested for Avian Leukosis. Sure enough— the bird had leukosis. Very similar looking to Marek’s at necropsy.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry

Highly, Highly reccomend vetdna.com
(972) 960-2221 M-F 9-5 central time Sat 9-1

I called and they were so helpful. Didn’t make me feel stupid for asking questions or wanting tests done.
They actually do testing for most state labs anyway.

So for the Marek’s test I need a few drops of blood on a piece of paper. Send it in a Ziplock with a form I print out. That’s it. That easy. No overnight shipping required. Turn around is same day they get the sample.

He also said it’s a better test then a necropsy. The necropsy looks for tumors. But that doesn’t mean the tumors are caused by Marek’s. The blood test is 99.9% accurate and vaccinated birds are not a false positive.

AND if it’s not Marek’s and I want to test for something else I just ask (and pay) and they can use the same sample.
Did I mention it’s $20.
I’ve read conflicting info on vaccinated birds. They said it wouldn’t show as a false positive? I’m seriously considering sending in a couple samples now.

I called this morning. It was a great call. They no longer take blood drops on paper/coffee filter. They send 3 swabs and 3 vials, directions for sample collection, and you do one of each type for each bird. That way they can catch the virus whether it’s shedding or in the bloodstream. Still $20 each bird.

Attachments

• 616877E0-2E6E-4EE1-AB2E-BF816E2419B7.jpeg
    616877E0-2E6E-4EE1-AB2E-BF816E2419B7.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom