Marans chick with brown wing bay.

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
I had never hatched out Black copper marans chicks before, but have been interested in the breed for over a year now, so decided to buy some hatching eggs. They are now currently almost three weeks old, and I have noticed that one of them (probably cockerel due to a lack of tail and pin feathers) has developed brown/gold spots on its covert feathers, and brown streaks on the visible side of its secondary feathers. I don’t have a picture at the moment, but know that brown wing bays are classed as a defect for BCM roosters. Does anyone know if their will grow out or am I stuck with it? I ordered eggs from two breeders, so may be luckier with another cockerel because I think I have at least two.

Thanks.

A picture might be helpful. I'm new to the breed as well, so I'm not sure. It does sound like leakage though. Either way, on this bread, the rooster has more copper than the hen.

My BCM cockerel at a couple weeks vs four months
IMG_20220627_201911623~2.jpg
IMG_20220413_074215860.jpg

I had never hatched out Black copper marans chicks before, but have been interested in the breed for over a year now, so decided to buy some hatching eggs. They are now currently almost three weeks old, and I have noticed that one of them (probably cockerel due to a lack of tail and pin feathers) has developed brown/gold spots on its covert feathers, and brown streaks on the visible side of its secondary feathers. I don’t have a picture at the moment, but know that brown wing bays are classed as a defect for BCM roosters. Does anyone know if their will grow out or am I stuck with it? I ordered eggs from two breeders, so may be luckier with another cockerel because I think I have at least two.

Thanks.
black copper marans chicks should be pure black ,if they have a brown feathers or marking at the young age ,than they will be over colored cockerel, mean too much copper all over they body .
if you want to know about marans chooks go to this thread ; international black copper marans thread .lot information there .all what you ned to know about marans all varieties .
chooks man

2887AF3B-88CD-4D4E-82D7-42AA6F10C511.jpeg
11E783D7-3A06-4408-A8D1-C9770CC495E8.jpeg
Not the best photos but he certainty has less brown in his wing bay than a few weeks ago. It’s still there though at the ends.
Any other thoughts welcome regarding the cockerel in general.

View attachment 3285726View attachment 3285727Not the best photos but he certainty has less brown in his wing bay than a few weeks ago. It’s still there though at the ends.
His plumage look correct to me all black. I do not see the brown feathers you where talking about. Maybe he has a brow flaking on the end of the black feathers . That is normal will go away . You’d cockerel look very good , very short and chunky . Nice copper coming along his hackle . Good head on him too . I like him . Post photos of him as he grow. He will change a lot . Good luck
Chooks man

View attachment 3285726View attachment 3285727Not the best photos but he certainty has less brown in his wing bay than a few weeks ago. It’s still there though at the ends.
now I m using a big computer I can see the brown you are talking about .
they are not brown feathers .it is a type of mossiness , a sign of the presence of the extra copper within the feathers ,not yet expressed .

your cockerel will have gorgeous bright orange eyes when fully grown . at adult age .

chooks man

now I m using a big computer I can see the brown you are talking about .
they are not brown feathers .it is a type of mossiness , a sign of the presence of the extra copper within the feathers ,not yet expressed .

your cockerel will have gorgeous bright orange eyes when fully grown . at adult age .

chooks man
Thank you very much. I too am very pleased with him as well as my pullets. Glad to here this.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom