Male or female Buff Orpingtons? Also what breed is my other chick..?

clarissa317

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I've read how difficult it is to sex Orpington's but because I'm too curious, I thought I'd let you guys see if you can tell what gender they are. I bought them from a pen of mixed gender at a feed store so I have no idea of they are could be. They are around 9 weeks old.

Also, could anyone tell me the breed of the black and gold chicken in the picture?
This first chicken has a light pink/white comb.

This second chicken has an almost red comb with a bigger wattle.
A picture of both.
And finally, my mystery black and gold chicken...

Last edited:
Ok just guessing on all of them. I think the orpingtons look like cockerels. They are so red. I don't know them that well. Maybe it's one of each. The other one resembles one of my EEs. Does it have a beard/muff? The girl in my picture has the same body color almost exactly. Its head is a little different.

The Buff Orpington with the larger, redder comb is probably a rooster. The other one has a pretty large comb for this age, too, so I'm going to guess cockerel on it too. However, Orpingtons can be very difficult to sex. Post some more photos of them in a few weeks, and we'll be able to tell better.

As for the black and gold chickens, she's an Easter Egger pullet.

The difficulty in sexing Orpingtons comes from cockerels being late bloomers. Those birds are both males.

Your other bird appears to be an Easter egger pullet.

The Buff Orpington with the larger, redder comb is probably a rooster. The other one has a pretty large comb for this age, too, so I'm going to guess cockerel on it too. However, Orpingtons can be very difficult to sex. Post some more photos of them in a few weeks, and we'll be able to tell better.

As for the black and gold chickens, she's an Easter Egger pullet.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom