Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m not sure, you should wait a few more weeks/months

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
I have two 18, almost 19 week old White Chinese geese. I believe we have one female and one male. Daisy (the one we believe to be female) is 8.6 pounds and has a much smaller knob than Oliver (the one we believe to be male). Daisy has a quick, lower pitched honk. Oliver is 9.8 pounds and has a much larger knob. He is much noisier and has a shrill high pitched honk and likes to point his beak to the sky. I really want to verify that we do indeed have one male and one female. What do you guys think?

Oliver is in front, Daisy is in back. Oliver’s knob has grown since this photo which was taken about 2 weeks ago, and Daisy’s knob has slowly grown over time as well
6AC72399-3837-4384-ADE2-AF38CE10AA48.jpeg

I’ve made a poll. Come and vote on what you guys think! Just would like some guesses so I have a solid thought in mind on their genders. Also you can comment your thoughts too.

Okay so I'm not the BIGGEST expert on chinese geese, I've only ever had one who I am about 90% sure is a lady. My female is about 6 months old. What sort of noise do they make? My girl is pretty noisy, but she makes the distinct "Oink" noise that a lot of people say that females make.

In this video, the male makes a very high squealing noise, compared to the female next to him which has a very low raspy kind of oink.

1602640101423.png

This is what she looked like last month (she's having a rough molt right now)

1602640175605.png

This was in august, so she was 4 months old here.

Judging on how bulbous the front one's knob looks though, I'm going to say you have a pair.

Okay so I'm not the BIGGEST expert on chinese geese, I've only ever had one who I am about 90% sure is a lady. My female is about 6 months old. What sort of noise do they make? My girl is pretty noisy, but she makes the distinct "Oink" noise that a lot of people say that females make.

In this video, the male makes a very high squealing noise, compared to the female next to him which has a very low raspy kind of oink.

View attachment 2372377
This is what she looked like last month (she's having a rough molt right now)

View attachment 2372380
This was in august, so she was 4 months old here.

Judging on how bulbous the front one's knob looks though, I'm going to say you have a pair.
Thank you for the help!! I have actually been trying to find a good video on the honks of ganders and gooses for Chinese geese. My goose with the larger knob DEFINITELY makes the high pitched noise in the video. The smaller knob goose makes the honk of that female in the video, except I don’t think my female has that developed of a honk quite yet.

When I listened to the video, I was like oh yep, that sounds like Oliver (the name of my most likely gander) and then I was like oh! That sounds like Daisy (the name of my most likely goose) with that quick little low pitched honk.

I listened to this video as well. Is the female in this video the one that does a quick, lower pitched sound? If so, that’s exactly what my Daisy sounds like!

Thank you for the help!! I have actually been trying to find a good video on the honks of ganders and gooses for Chinese geese. My goose with the larger knob DEFINITELY makes the high pitched noise in the video. The smaller knob goose makes the honk of that female in the video, except I don’t think my female has that developed of a honk quite yet.

When I listened to the video, I was like oh yep, that sounds like Oliver (the name of my most likely gander) and then I was like oh! That sounds like Daisy (the name of my most likely goose) with that quick little low pitched honk.

I listened to this video as well. Is the female in this video the one that does a quick, lower pitched sound? If so, that’s exactly what my Daisy sounds like!

Yeah! Thats basically the sound my girl makes. :) Very rapid and big OINK!

Yeah! Thats basically the sound my girl makes. :) Very rapid and big OINK!
Yes haha! It can be a very sudden oink for sure!! Your goose girl is so adorable btw. I definitely agree with you that she’s a girl since her knob looks still pretty small compared to my gander at 4 months. That means GOOSE EGGS for you! 😁

And for me, that means goslings in the spring and also goose eggs for me too! I’ll have to document the goslings next spring. Super excited. Thanks for the input. Really helped me! 👍

Back
Top Bottom