Making my babies comfy without there mom???

BabyChicMama

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2024
OBX NC
🐔🐣🐤🐥🐓PLEASE HELP 🐣🐥🐤💰🐓Hey guys I'm new here and new to being a chic mommy... I just got 12 babies about 1 week old what should I do to make sure they are warm, come, secure, safe, and well fed??? Any suggestions would be great. Also I was curious about if I should give them a stuffed animal or something of that nature for them to cuddle under thier lamp to calm there nerves, don't no if that is something that's ok to do or if that may hurt them in some way???? I just want them to be comfy and feel safe. PLEASE HELP

They don't need stuffed animals. They need appropriate feed and water, a warm area to warm up in, a cool area at least 10-20F cooler to cool off in, and plenty of space to be able to move around otherwise. As long as you meet those basics they'll do just fine.

Awesome I have all of that covered, I read a few places under the light should be about 80° what do u think? Also are they old enough for treats or should I just stick with the chic food for now? If they are old enough what should I give them for treats? I have a garden full of fresh veggies and lots of worms and clovers, can they have that type of stuff? I also read they like boiled or scrambled eggs if so I have fresh eggs as well not from the grocery store but from a small farm near my home? Them eating eggs sounds so wrong lol but.if it's good for them and they like it they can Def have it..... lol sorry for all of the questions and thank u so much for ur fast response I'm hoping to cram as much knowledge as possible from folks who have raised chics 1st hand rather then using Wikipedia or others things like that, I feel the 1st handers are more likely to help me make them as happy and healthy as possible....

Awesome I have all of that covered, I read a few places under the light should be about 80° what do u think?
If they're closer to 7 days old, vs 13 days old, the warm area should be closer to 85-90F. But you can also go by their behavior: if they spend a lot of time clustered under the heat, they're too cold, and if they spend most of their time as far from it as possible, it's too hot.
Also are they old enough for treats or should I just stick with the chic food for now? If they are old enough what should I give them for treats? I have a garden full of fresh veggies and lots of worms and clovers, can they have that type of stuff? I also read they like boiled or scrambled eggs if so I have fresh eggs as well not from the grocery store but from a small farm near my home?
I don't do a lot of treats in general, and with chicks I wait until they're a bit older. Mine do eat a lot of random other stuff (the favorite snack this year was baby willow leaves) but I raise mine outdoors so they'll eat what they find in addition to their feed. They do need grit to help with digestion if they're eating anything other than chick crumble or mash.

Back
Top Bottom