Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

I'd be happy to be wrong, in that it should be that much easier to get to my desired end state, just never saw an internet picture showing an SLW hen with combs as short as those on mine. Is it normal for them to start laying before their combs swell? I expected, from text descriptions and close up pictures at sites like this the comb to be much smaller than the male's, but not so close to my Brahma as what I'm seeing.

Would also be happy to be wrong in that it means I've learned something new.

Happy Holidays to you both, @RoostersAreAwesome and @Egghead_Jr

I'm still learning, freely admit. Do hen's "rose" combs look like three rows of dots, like the pea comb of my dark brahma, with only the center row in any way "pronounced" at less than 1/8" in height? The male in the hatchery picture is what I expect of a "rose comb", loosely, a walnut with points.
I'd be happy to be wrong, in that it should be that much easier to get to my desired end state, just never saw an internet picture showing an SLW hen with combs as short as those on mine. Is it normal for them to start laying before their combs swell? I expected, from text descriptions and close up pictures at sites like this the comb to be much smaller than the male's, but not so close to my Brahma as what I'm seeing.

Would also be happy to be wrong in that it means I've learned something new.

Happy Holidays to you both, @RoostersAreAwesome and @Egghead_Jr
Rose combs can vary a lot. Some wyandottes will keep the flat looking comb even after point of lay. The picture in that link looks like two hens with small single combs, though I could be wrong, it’s hard to tell.
Here are a few pictures of birds with rose combs I’ve collected over the years.
My sebright hen from tractor supply with the more “typical” rose comb shape.
7BD8233D-D8C1-4E17-A4BD-F409D8230C0F.jpeg
5C2A904C-55E2-4145-ABAA-C77625237793.jpeg
A325887B-80DD-455F-895E-5E69C97757FF.jpeg

Hatchery quality wyandotte hen.
AEE0DB31-8D35-479D-B850-2F421066C9BD.jpeg
9950DC97-1F17-49C1-824F-4DD1F15987B0.jpeg

Sebright hen, pictures taken at a small scale poultry show.
F5087C48-B6DC-48D0-A48F-EDCDAC7D07E6.jpeg
C7AEB427-D37E-47BC-9A4E-F88B482975D8.jpeg

Rosecomb bantam hen, picture taken at a different show.
D430BF4F-92DF-48E8-8947-CBBA582B3389.jpeg

Partridge wyandotte bantam hen, pictures taken at the same show as the above rosecomb bantam.
1DCF0DA1-62F2-442B-8E40-1AEFF0893CBE.jpeg
CE44FF12-3220-4D90-915F-B8CDA1ADC79D.jpeg
B59EA83E-79C0-4905-B15E-63B6F24753C8.jpeg
7D2A278B-23D4-42A7-83D4-ECCD42ABC30A.jpeg

Week 2 Update [Posted Late, due to Holidays]

P1 - 01
Things One thru Four are doing well. Original weights, respectively (Ounces)
1.4 / 1.4 / 2.3 / 1.3

Current Weights, respectively (Ounces) - recorded above, but haven't organized my thoughts
5.6 / 5.7 / 11.4 / 6.1

Photos to follow, but Things Three and Four are early winners for weight gain, and are radically different in appearance. Three is Buff, reminds me a lot of the Cornish X chicks I bought last April, except for a few randomly placed black smudges on feathers. Real curious about adult plumage already. Clean yellow shanks.

Thing Four is "Blue/Black" without obvious banding or marking, looks like the undertones are some brown in some light. Black wings, tail, back, with a blue fluff to the chest and shanks. Clean legs, not as beefy, and slate-y. E+ gene?

Both birds were born with a few tail feathers, not just fluff.

Things One and Two both have smudges on the crown of the head, more distinct on Two, extending a bit around the skull, and had stripes on the wings at birth. Barring becoming more pronounced as they grow. Just developing tail feathers.

No effort made to sex any of them.

P1 - 02

Of the 12 eggs [unknown mothers] being incubated, 3 have been removed as infertile/failure to develop. The flock thanks me for their sacrifice. Remaining 9 have well developed air sacks at the broad end of their eggs, and seem to fill the rest of their shell with darkness. Sadly, the strength of my candling light (cell phone) does not allow me to discern movement, and I can only see shell veining on the very lightest of the eggs.

One of the removed infertiles was believed to be from an SLW hen, the other two are believed to be from "Rainbows". Remaining in the incubator are eggs believed to be from matings with Comets, Rainbows, Brahma with a possible CornishX. REALLY need to finish the new run and house to better partition the flocks.

Hatchings expected around 12/31

Back
Top Bottom