MAKING A GOOD GARDEN WITH CHICKEN MANURE AND MORE

Glenda L Heywood

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
I truly find something to learn every day even though I have raised chickens 60 yrs
most yrs we raised 3500 and loved doing the hard work it took to keep them clean and healthy
I am a firm believer in natural probiotics
and healthy feeding

I also believe in feeding good dark greens for the vitamins and minerals in the CHICKENS

Here is some good thoughts on the garden this yr
I always used hydrated lime on the manure pile for composting as it kept the flies out of it and IS VERY GOOD for your garden

In the fall when the garden is over be sure and take all tomato and potato vines and burn them in trash barrel
Because they will cause a blight to be present in the garden

then put 5 bags of epsom salts on a 50'x 50'space
as it is very good for the soil
also put a small bag of lime on it same size garden
can be bought at any walmart garden center
Till it in and leave for the winter moisture

this fights the blight especially present in our type of colder climate

then in spring apply the same amounts of epsom salts to the soil and till it in

als add any chicken manure from your compost pile over the winter with hydrated lime layered on it. This helps the garden soil a lot

when you plant the tomato plants be sure and dig hole to fit all of the stock of the tomato plant with plant in hole up to last leaves. This gives a good root system to grown on the plant. Also keeps it from breaking off plants from wind. South Dakota is famous for wind. Only 18 days a yr no wind

back to planting tomatoes
take and measure 4 more inches below where the plant is to be up to last leaves
in this hole first put 1 cup of epsom salts and 2000 mg of calcium pills for humans
and any fish fresh or fish skins and entrails
now cover all this and put plant in up to last leaves and they will grow great and not get blight.
We have so much cold weather we get blight

I did not get blight in South Carolina but used the same method of growing large tomatoes

Any tips from every one else is welcome.

The burying of the stem of the tomato plant is very important, tomatoes will root all along that stem, giving your plant a much larger root system to feed the plant with.

I've never tried the Epsom salts in the soil, although I've heard of it, I'll be checking that out this season, for sure!

Another tip to help prevent blight is to mulch the soil beneath your tomatoes. The rain or overhead watering splashing on the soil and then up onto the leaves helps to spread blight, a good mulch will cut that right down, or if you are in a heavy blight area, it will hold it at bay giving you a longer harvest.

Quote:
thank you miss glenda! I have been fighting blight for three years. This year we're moving them elsewhere but I am also going to buy some epsom salts. And can't I use egg shells instead of the calcium pills? I have been saving chicken poop and egg shells since I got them last July.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom