Making a coop "homey" *New Photo Added

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
I had some wall paper left from a craft booth a friend of mine and I used years ago (over 15 years ago!) anyhow it just seemed to fit the Glenn Cottage Eggery coop!

90108Frontofcoopviewemail.jpg

Peeking in the side window

90108Insideofcoopwalpaperpeekemail.jpg

Inside view
90108Insideofcoop02email.jpg

Here is my new door prop, for when I have to sweep out the coop.

90108DoorPropemail.jpg

We don't have much of a change of seasons here in Tucson. So, I thought I would give myself a bit of fall color. I don't want to be watering plants right next to the side of the coop. So.... I put in some "fake" Chrismas tree branches that someone was throwing away. Then added some flowers and leaves from the Dollar Store.

90108FallColorsemail.jpg

Some of the sunflowers are from my garden! Can you tell which ones are the real sunflowers?

90108FallColorslongshotemail.jpg

I found this today at Walmart for 97 cents.. Now the Fall Color Display is complete!!
90208FallColorsScarecrowemail.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet coop <g>.

You might want to fill in those open blocks with something - even if you are just sweeping out that door and the chickens aren't using it. Maybe some sand - you probably got lots of sandy soil around you, LOL.

I guess that the yellow ones are yours... am I right? LOL

Also - save these pics and refer to them later when the chickens have it all pooped on and messy, LOL. It'll maybe give you some comfort in your hour of frustration at keeping that nice and white and clean <g>.

ETA - are you planning to put in nest boxes?

Peace -
Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of a friend who had a gorgeous coop built including a seating area inside to sit and commune with her hens. Complete with shelves for chicken books, floral wreaths on the walls and little throw rugs. I laughed so hard when I saw it.
lol.png
lol.png

A week later there was a wire wall up between the chicken area and the cleaned up people area. The books had to be thrown area as did the wreaths and one of the rugs.

To give her credit she kept the chicken side clean enough you could sit and relax inside without to much smell or tooo many flies.

Enjoy the wallpaper now before the chickens hit the coop, b/c I am predicting its lifespan at about a month, tops. Quite possibly more like fifteen minutes (it will get pecked at and ripped apart).

And, that fancy headboard or chairback or whatever is not the only thing holding the door open, right? (Chickens WILL bump into it and dislodge it, I guarantee, with a resulting loud bang and *hopefully* no injured squawks).

Very cute though.

Have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Yes, the yellow ones are the real sunflowers. I know it will not look so good once the chickens get to live there, maybe I ought to get "pretend" chickens? I saw some rather nice "lawn chickens" at a store recently.

I have been thinking of what to put in those empty blocks, I have pleny of dirt and rocks!! I have to find a board or something to put there when I sweep out the coop, so everything doesn't just go into the bricks. I suppose if there is just dry dirt in the holes, I can just rake whatever gets in there off the top.

I am building the nest box, singular today... it is a big nest box. fits about the entire end of the coop. It is one of the type that hangs off the exterior wall with access from outside the coop. I am painting the interior blue, to make it darker in there. I could put up a cute curtain to give them some privacy while laying, Maybe I can find some nice egg inspiring print!!

Quote:
Yes, the wallpaper is frivoulus to be sure. But it makes for good photos! And it makes my husband smile.

The chairback holding the door, is not where the chickens will be. It is my access door to clean out the coop. My plan is to have them in the run with the pop door shut, or in the tractor when I use that door. I was looking for a way to hold it open, and that chair back, that I was planning to let the chickens have to "play on" worked pretty good.

Quote:
Funny how our expectations of how things will be are seldom how they turn out in reality.

I am known for not living in reality much of the time.

My husband says he things my "having" chickens will not be so sweet as the "wanting" of chickens.

Are you familiar with the artist Thomas Kinkade? His paitings are my screen saver. I could just walk out into most of his paintings and stay there.

Here are two of my favorite places to go when things here in realityville are not what I would like them to be.

This is where I live in my head... (not exactly Tucson, AZ!!)

EverettsCottagebigestemal.jpg

This would be my summer cottage, I love the mountians,

SweetheartCottageBigemailIII.jpg

I would have a couple of goats to live with me up here. (Think being named "Heidi" has anything to do with that one?)

Last edited:
i just had to laugh because i think it's really cute, but i had that exact same border in my kitchen when i moved in and tore it out with maniacal, hate-filled vengeance DIY. oh, boy, i hated that border!

here's hoping your hens are mannerly enough to leave your hard work alone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom