Main Differences between heritage breeds and hybrids in average feed density needs

Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
LAYER HYBRIDS (industrial white leghorns, red sex links)
Protein 17,50%
Fats 4%
Fiber 3,20%
Crude Ash 13,50%
Methionine 0,48%
Lysine 0,90%
Calcium 3,78%
Phosphorus 0,70%

MEAT HYBRID BIRDS (CX, red broilers)
Protein 20%
Fats 4,10%
Fiber 3,55%
Crude Ash 6%
Methionine 0,56%
Lysine 1,18%
Calcium 0,94%
Phosphorus 0,75%

HERITAGE BREEDS (in pre-layer and main reproduction period)
Protein 14,50%
Fats 4%
Fiber 5,50%
Crude Ash 13%
Methionine 0,32%
Lysine 0,60%
Calcium 3,60%
Phosphorus 0,70%

Where is this info from? I would never feed any layer hen a 14% protein.

@U_Stormcrow calling you to look at this food need claim!

He's from Greece - the EU uses lower average protein, with higher Met and Lys thru synthetics. Ignoring the protein, the other numbers aren't unreasonable, though they don't match up with the sources I'm familiar with, either - ALL sources disagree, somewhat.
Chances you can find a 14.5% protein feed in the US with those numbers is about nil. Heck, I've seen plenty of 16%, and even some 18% protein feeds that still only have 0.3% met and 0.6 Lys.

Even so, @Thomas Lamprogiorgos - show your sources please.

Last edited:
My sources are experienced greek farmers testing their stock for many many years.
They key is that heritage breeds thrive on less protein, which means less soy bean.

Links please. Those are very specific numbers for things that can't be tested at home. Some number of which do not even appear on EU feed labels. I'd like to read the studies for myself.
Farmers living in the acres produce their own corn or/wheat and offer it to their chickens. In these conditions heritage chickens like white rocks overlay a hybrid layer like industrial leghorns and RSL, because they manage to cover a bigger amount of their smaller needs.

Farmers living in the acres produce their own corn or/wheat and offer it to their chickens. In these conditions heritage chickens like white rocks overlay a hybrid layer like industrial leghorns and RSL, because they manage to cover a bigger amount of their smaller needs.

Again, I'd like to see the studies supporting these claims. I'm very curious as to your definition of "overlay", and moreover note that corn and oats are not nutritionally interchangeable ingredients, which lends further doubt to the veracity of your other claims.

Nor do I see any recent comments by you here on BYC which suggest a strong command of the topic of poultry nutrition generally. I might infer from your posts a marked preference for leghorns and white rocks over say, production reds, and further - to the extent that you are claiming that a classic heritage bird is less negatively impacted by low quality feed than a modern production Cx or production Layer (as you seem to have done here) - yes , that's true. But that's like saying a champion swimmer, gymnast, or weightlifter is more adversely affected by being restricted to a 2,000 calorie/day diet than the average 9-5 office drone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom